"BURN OUT" in making music

jmc6ill

I was wondering if people had any techniques or ways of dealing with "burnout" on a song?

Like where you work on it too long and get totally sick of hearing it. I find myself getting a motif I really like and writing 80% of the song but can't finish it, then I get sick of it and leave it incomplete. I can't get back into the "zone" of the song if I don't complete it fast enough.:confused:

I think a lot of times it's visual.
Try closing your eyes... if you work on the computer, shut off the monitor.. and just listen subjectively, as though you've never heard it before. That should help you figure out if something's missing.

I give all of my songs the 24 hour rule also. Anything can sound hot while you're in the zone and you're making it, but you only really know it's good if you stepped away from it from 24 hours, come back, and it still makes you feel the same way you did when you're in the zone. If it does... i know i'm going to complete it (i'm an emcee also, so if it passes the test, i either start writing, or if it's really hot i've already got half of it written). If it doesn't have that same feel... i put it in the archives and work on something new. Maybe i'll come back to it.

So yeah... don't be afraid to step away from it. If you were meant to finish it, you will. Think of all the other moments of brilliance you've had, and how you just couldn't stay away from it until it was done.. and u stayed awake all night just listenin to it cuz it was that good. You can't force genius. It comes and it goes.

I was wondering if people had any techniques or ways of dealing with "burnout" on a song?
Yeah. I feel your pain, but it is a learning process. The first thing I realized was if I was going to make music my career, I had to treat it - in some respects - like an actual job. In other words I had to take the creative side and the mundane side with equal importance.

I had to develop systems. These helped me be more efficient. This may or may not work for you but it works for me. I must have a plan at every stage. Going in to a composition, an arrangement or a mix blind is creative suicide.

For example when composing I generally start with an idea but it needs an outline. I read music so I try to find music that resembles the tune I am hearing. I do not listen to the song, rather I read the music and look at what they did with the chords. The Beatles are great for this.

I usually take the chords in a completely different direction but it certainly helps to see what someone else has done with a chord change from Eb minor for instance.

With arranging its very similar I reference other songs... but I also do something that will only work with pre-production in my studio... because I could not bring myself to do it in front of people... I dance. When you dance to your music it will tell you where it wants to go. You don't need drugs to hear it either... it speaks loud and clear... just get all worked up dancing and poof like magic you will know exactly where to go with it.

Mixing is the same. I have a plan and a reference. None of these elements will work without it.

The final component is key for me. Everything must be done in 3 days. At least a rough mix. If I am composing for more than 3 days... I've lost. I get the song written in 3 days:

• Day 1: Chords, Structure and Melody and Lead lines.
  • Day 2: Bridge (good to build bridge after a day away)
  • Day 3: Editing and Arranging and Rough Mix.
If it last longer then this it is really hard to get back to it. Hope this helps.

I try to forget about it and then just listen to some stuff I made outside or on a smaller system, somewhere else, different room.

Approach music as if you were to seduce her, not shout at her and rape her to death.

Ease it in...

do something else creative, like some drawing, photoshop, video editing...I do a lot of visual stuff too, sometimes a visual can inspire me to create a beat from it, and sometimes I make ideas for music videos first and then make the song later lol

here is some of my work:

http://www.jeystonemedia.com

Back