bridging between verse's and chorus's

nqcowboy87

ive been trying to muck around with a trapish song (i dont care if people call me a bandwagoner, i do this for a hobby im a metalhead at heart) with a riff i came up with on guitar. its in c major using quarter notes with a delay carring over piano chords giving it a happy sound but then when i have the verse with those brassy stabs over a sparse drum line that are the norm in trap i sort of run an e phrygian mode riff over the top giving it a dark feeling. now e phrygian from my basic music theory knowledge is basically c major scale but the root of the scale is now e giving it a dark, eastern quality. now when i try and bridge these two parts together even though i havent changed key or anything they still sound like two different songs, im new to composing on both guitar and in daws so maybe im missing something here. jack u (skrillex and diplo) song take you there has a basic chord progression of emaj, fmin, c#min, then in the trap verse it has a sort of chromatic run where it runs c, b, c, c#, b and it sounds awesome and they manage to bring those two parts together even though youd think it wouldnt sound good

actually the audio here is irrelevant as the issue is how do I modulate from E phrygian to C major and vice versa, a question that can be answered without specific audio

An appropriate way out of the phrygian is the progression Em-F-C-G or Em-Dm-C-G or Em-F-Am-G

From the Major to the phrygian we might try something like C-Am-Em or C-G-Am-Em or C-G-F-Em or C-G-Dm-Em

all work and all will be adaptable for just about any genre

Back