Bridge Scale/Chords

caycay

Is it a bad idea to change scales when making a bridge in a song?<br/>...I have a track I'm working on and I went from: F-A-C, B-D-G, G-B-F, etc. <b>to</b> F-C-E, B-E-G, G-D-F, etc And I'm not sure if it this is a good idea, because the song sounds almost too different at that point.

the whole point of a bridge is to provide harmonic, melodic and lyrical contrast. The effectiveness comes from how you set it up and how you move back to your original tonal center.

Think RESPECT and the sax solo - that is the bridge in that song and it is removed from the original key to a much more distant tonality that wends its way back to the original key

That makes a whole lot of sense. So in other words have the chord progressions move toward the original scale as close as I can, as I move toward the end of the bridge, back to the song. Makes sense, Thanks bandcoach, appreciate it.

I don't think you necessarily need to move the chord progression towards the original scale to make it work. There are other ways to transition back to the original chord progressions by removing layers, dropping drums ect. The bridge is supposed to be a distinct change from the rest of the song, so as long as the end product sounds good, I think you can push the boundaries as far as you want musically.

Back