"Is this the best you can do?"

Iason

I have gotten to a point where everything I write is pure s***! I got so pissed at myself that I just turned my synth to pure piano and just played something out of my a**. I recorded it and now I think I'll just make it an album of piano impromptus.
Isn't that a great Idea? Well I thought so. I don't want any reviews or care if anyone listens. I just wanted to throw this thought out to people and maybe someday I'll be doing impromptus on stage for piano lovers and background music.

I guess it's already been done but it's still my personality on a keyboard. Plus when I die I will have had my voice out there. All these songs I wrote while I was playing, if that makes sense.

Anybody else do strange ways of composing?

Last edited:
Why do you say that everything is "pure s***"? Why not not tell us what you think is wrong and we'll help you get past it?

There's nothing wrong with your plan, but having that attitude towards your own writing can't be good.

That piano-thing reminds me of Aphex Twin's Drukqs. Just do it, it sounds like fun...I did a sort of similar thing with a Rhodes two years ago - it was basically a 'studio live' performance, I improvised the songs and my friend who was recording it provided occasional sample/synth strings & realtime space-echoing. It turned out very nice, only thing I did to it afterwards was the removal of a nasty feedback peak.

I usually have a theme in my head before I start composing. Lately, every theme I think of turns out to be a repeat of my earlier pieces. I just feel like I'm stuck in a rut. I even tried recomposing some of these earlier compositions but they all turned out to cluttered or overdone. Since I started just doing impromptus my thoughts seem to clear and the new original themes come back. I tried to restructure them into a more structured song but then they fall apart melodically.

artistic temperament is strange, the piano thing might sound cool though!

That sort of sounds like when i first got my midi cable and i never played keyboard but i just played a beat and freestyled everything for like a minute, i think the notes and everything fit in good. I also went over it with strings and i didnt know which notes i did the piano with so it was all over the place lol. goodtimes...peace guys

Back