Beats Sound Drowned W/ Reverb?

-/-

I notice some of my beats sound a little too "wet" (lmao) in other words like theres a bunch of reverb. I'm mixing and eq'ing my sounds so it sound crisper. Now, I dont want to reduce the reverb because I have it at the perfect spot so its not too dry. Any tips/ideas?

Last edited:
my advice is you could either
add automation the reverb so it hits at the reverb you want but then automate it so it's less reverb after the transient.
or use compression and sidechain it to a sound that it ducks under other sounds.

Last edited:
are you using send or insert reverb?

if send then you probably need to back it off just a touch,

if insert reconsider making it a send

- with an insert reverb you are always compromising on how much the mix is, where you put it in the processing chain, eq post or pre

- with a send reverb the effect is always 100% wet and you can control how much of the reverb comes back into the mix

im using insert. I only use send for automations on specific sounds i want grouped together

that is very short sighted of you to use them only for automations

try using your reverbs as sends and compare and contrast with the results of doing it via inserts

I would get your reverb the way you want it and save it to it's own track or wave. That way you can process the original sound and the reverb differently. You might try a turning the reverb down and giving it a stereo-spread to accentuate it, or you could use an EQ-filter to cut out the extra noise and boost the sweet spot.
Capture.JPG[h=1][/h]

The last two posts illustrate the simplicity, the beauty and the luxury of send reverbs - you control the sound completely and without hindrance or compromise as you must do with an insert reverb

Of course the bigger issue is ensuring that all of the sound is sent to the reverb not just the source sound - you use post fader sends for that situation which will ensure that any specific insert/in-line fx are also included in the sound

Modern daws are capable of almost limitless send channels (limitations on channel numbers usually come back to memory considerations)

From a pure sound design perspective I consider a reverb as an effect that is best applied wet and as late in the chain as possible - there are always exceptions, but in most mix situations "send and reintegrate as much or as little as needed" is always more effective than "insert and mix wet/dry hoping that you get it right"

I might be showin my naivety here, but I seem to be havin the same issue and I'm kinda unclear on how to use 'send' reverbs. I have noticed upgraded my reverb plugs have made quite the difference, but obviously I'm missing something.

I'm using ableton btw.

I had a question about this the other day too, when using a send reverb, if a bunch of sounds are using it at once, does the reverb get "muddy" sounding?

it can but that is why you would use independent sends for each track

- in the digital age we no longer need to stick to the idea that one send fx is used for many different channels

- most daws allow you to create multiple send/fx channels and to route the output of each send on each channel to a different fx/send channel (reason is an exception but that is because it is modeling a real, physical console, although in 7 with the clone channel that is no longer the burden it once was - you can use an insert fx in a clone channel to achieve the same result as if you were using multiple independent send channels)

Some quick tips'n'things to consider as well, especially in regards to reverb muddiness:

* Learn & love the pre-delay.
* EQ your 'verbs.
* Side-chain compress your 'verbs.

I notice some of my beats sound a little too "wet" (lmao) in other words like theres a bunch of reverb. I'm mixing and eq'ing my sounds so it sound crisper. Now, I dont want to reduce the reverb because I have it at the perfect spot so its not too dry. Any tips/ideas?

These two statements can't exist together. If they sound too wet, isn't that your very own admission that they aren't in a perfect spot? Anyways, you don't want to do it but the quickest fix is to use less reverb. I'm not saying you should use none, just less and maybe don't put it on every sound in the mix. Subtlety goes a long way in cleaning up a mix.

As well as what krushing said, a good way to mix in reverb (returns or inserts) is to turn it up until you can only just hear it, and then turn it down just a tiny bit.

You might think it's not doing anything at this point, but if you bypass the effect, you'll still hear a big difference!

Back