Beat Arrangement

Skoonova

I'm pretty good at making the main sequence of the beat but I struggle when it comes to the intro, chorus and outro....Can anyone suggest ways to create these parts of the beat without it sounding to different?

I always end up starting with the kick, then I bring in the hi hat or snare then the sample but that method is getting old. I need something fresh!

Listen to other songs and emulate them. Start with a snare roll, a vocal sample, a melody line, the chorus. The possibilities are endless really

Thanks for replying. I'll try and switch it up a bit. I was listening to Xxplosive by Dr Dre and he seems to just keep the same drum pattern through the entire song and just adds a sample sound at different parts. Keeps it simple but it sounds awesome.

Its not getting old if you havnt mastered it!
Be creative music is a art not drawing blocks in a music sequencer use your eyes to listen to what your making twice as much as using your eyes to look at the laptop. Honestly man it will take alot of time to paint a perfect picture & thats the biggest test of a musician.

SO ! as for intro/chorus/outro what I try to do is set it up so it flows well. My usual set up is as follows:
Intro - 2 bars of instrumentation similar to melodies in chorus - then one-two more bars adding the drums from the chorus and another instrument. But I usually add a unique melody or phrase to intro so that the actual song isnt a repetition of the intro. I like to keep intro's a little more unique so that people could put that shit on repeat and not get tired of it. Plus... I always try to add a nasty drum dropout before the first verse starts
Verses - usually drop out most instruments to start. I build a lot in verses, sometimes I'll drop out to just a snare and 1-2 instruments, then bring in the bassline after a few bars. then in the last bar before each chorus I introduce a melody that is in the chorus.
Chorus - add extra high's... take the melody or chords from the verse and layer on 2 higher octaves that don't necessarily hit the same notes. add a few fx noises and use a diff drum pattern (add extra hats and kick) cymbals always help. One thing that really helps fatten up chorus's is widening your sound. Create 2 of the chorus melody and pan left/right or use stereo separation so it comes off monumental.
Outro - I usually start with the chorus and then add a chord arrangement from the verse and play around dropping out things and adding here and there.

BASICALLY... take your main beat, and spend an hour layering on different instruments and melodies and keep what works and throw that on the chorus intro or outro. Check out some of my recent work for examples of what im talking about...
soundclick . com/j2thebproductions

Also anyone who could offer feedback on my work I'm all ears... my contact is on sc or message me on here

djjb

Try different ways every time (start with only the main instrument, start with the drums only, start out with the hook right away, have sound effects or a synth pad as the intro). Basically keep it fresh and don't be afraid to try something new. You can always change it around if you don't like it

Last edited by a moderator:
yea basically start with the main chorus of the beat. I guess thats how most of the beat makers make it. and then they just break it down for different parts of the song. and for bridges they might change up the chords and melodies, to make it...well ... a bridge lol

I gave the best tip out of anybody, its not old unless you have mastered it. Anybody can tell you how they do theres but thats not going to get you any better at how you do yours because your going to be starting off a new way of making beats which will take longer than learning and perfecting your craft.

In my case i always start with drums and try to start off with building the hook.Then I go build around the drums add instruments build up the verse.Its just really up to you what do you feel?Whats is the song telling you?What type of beat/music are you making?Just try everything homie...

Back