Bass in Reson

T

thatguy2day

Hey can any one reccommend a refill with good bass for hiphop cuz most of the bass that it comes withs sounds like its for tecno.

Hi,

reason took me a while to get used to and i went down the same street thinking it was predominantly a techno machine...but thru hours of patient fiddling i discovered quite the opposite...firstly what kind of hip hop are we talking...if you are going for that new sound, then the techno sounds may be a good friend of yours you probably just need to play around with the filters and delve into the world of multisampling where you take diffrent sounds and layer them...this is especially good when you take ,say, a sub bass sound and layer it with something that has more characteristics like a slap or a pluck bass...bass is something that i tend to take my time with...it drives the track...also make sure it is not getting disturbed by the kick drum... a lot of hip hop producers lay the bass line on the same hit as the kick drum.. so be sure that your kick is tuned to the same key as the root note of your bass line...if you are looking for that more live feel hip hop that i go for ( think the roots , shadow etc) then you either need to find a bass player or , some good samples.... you dont need to get refills.... by using the import function on the samplers in reason you can pull in any wav or aiff file ...so dont think you are restricted to just the refills.... i have a lot of both (refills and samples) and generally find that by mixing and matching diff bass sounds (electronic or natural) i find what im looking for..the key is patience and experimentation...if the sounds we were looking for all came in preset form...our music would all sound the same... i hope i have made sense and following is a list of refills i have that might intrest you...thanks :

funkmaster ( acoustic basses and drums)
electro jazz retro funk thing (abstract)
skip to my loops (big beat, hip hop)
160db drum and bass ( d&b, but useful for all styles)
bass legends (acoustic and electric bass samples)

if you notice ..none of them are prescribed for hip hop ! but when combined they work wonders..

peace

kool thanx im trying to make some hard hittiing grimmy beats i got the rest down ok besides the bass so i just gota mess with it for a wile i guess. So basically you just get a bass that might not seem good and kickin at first and just screw with it till you got it soundin good.

The Scream4 is great for enhancing your bass sounds, be it from the Subtractor, Malström or a sample. Everything can be made to work, I say.

of course, the SCREAM (available in the 2.5 version of reason)...i overlooked that ...yes this is definatly a great enhancer for bass..the presets are very good and you only have to fiddle with a couple of nobs to fine tune your sound.. it definatly adds warmth to a bass or can take it into grimy distorted heaven

..you could try using this machine over the whole mix giving a kind of TAPE feel which will richen up the sound...
just select TAPE and turn p1 about 3/4 around and p2 all the way .....

another bass tip is to slightly increase the bass eq on the drums (around 8) then decrease the bassline eq ( around 20).. this will give a nice thud to the bass drum and make the bassline sit more in the mid low area... basically they wont clash...

another good idea, when you have finally found your bass sound, is to limit it using the compressor... the following settings are a good place to start...
ratio.... 107
thresh... 91
attack... 36
release.. 49

just select the compressor after the bass line instrument and throw in the above settings as a starting point...

just like my man krushing said before it can be made to work...good luck man...let me know how it comes along

peace

You could also use the Subtractor synth to create your own bass sound. They have a tutorial about it on reasonstation.net

OR....you can route the subtractor through the vocoder..put the vocoder on eq.....and boost the lower freq's
to really thicken up the bass..

yup^^^^ i JUST started messing with that and the old school eq the "red box" one lol they actualy can do some nice damage man

JimbaFrosty said:
yup^^^^ i JUST started messing with that and the old school eq the "red box" one lol they actualy can do some nice damage man

nice indeed you can drop dat $hit like itza greasy fat chic homie :):)

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHA now THATS heavy duke lol ill drink to that :cheers: then **** her hot friends ;)

JimbaFrosty said:
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHA now THATS heavy duke lol ill drink to that :cheers: then **** her hot friends ;)

lmmfao you wild wit da game frosty lol:D
have you tried to load a kick in the redrum..say bank1..then route the kick through a vocoder of its own???

naw they only time i need to tweak the sound in it i just use the redrums filter and pitch thats it, besieds that i layer which i dont do to the kick that much anyways
i mostly layer and tweak my snars cos i have a seprate mixer JUST for drums so each peice has its own mixer channle

i,ve got a folder of midi baselines which will help ya out.contact me.they work for me....

chriselee said:
i,ve got a folder of midi baselines which will help ya out.contact me.they work for me....

lmmfao...
we talkin about the horses head..you talkin about his ass...

j/p we all started sumwhere

hey good looking on the tip on using scream 3 to thicken the bass. i used on at track this weekend and it sound great.

I use the NNXT and chop up a bass line or use a automated one. Then I'll create a spider audio, then a EQ and Scream 4. That's all you need. DOn't use a filter, compression is okay but over compressing is a problem. SOmething unique I been experimenting with is load up two bass lines together or maybe even three and eQ all the same and change the Octave of each.

Back