Basic Chord Substitutions ???

I think I kinda get what you're asking.

If you're looking at one of the most simple/common chord progressions I-IV-V-I you could substitute vi for the last I chord, giving you a deceptive cadence, which would then lead you back to IV-V-I, so the whole progression would be something like I-IV-V-vi-IV-V-I.

It's also common to put ii in the pre-dominant position, instead of IV, so you could have I-ii-V-I.

Otherwise, resolving a phrase in vi would effectively be resolving the phrase in the relative minor, as opposed to the major key the song was initially in. There's absolutely nothing "wrong" with resolving a phrase with vi, it will just give it the feel associated with minor keys, rather than major.

Frohawk your exactly right. If you look at the natural minor scale its really nothing but the relative major flipped around bro. For instance if I do a progression that goes C-F-G-C all I would have to do is switch C with Am and now I basically have a natural minor feel. The same for some of the other chords too. I can see that pretty much every scale revolves around the Major scale. Every scale is basically a remix for the Major. Its hard to explain what I mean tho.

see this thread
chord progressions in the major some tips and tricks

which summarises the substitution paths for the major as follows:

ChordGoes to
Iany chord
iiIV, V, vii[sup]b5[/sup]
iiiii, IV, vi
IVI, iii, V, vii[sup]b5[/sup]
VI, vi, IV
viii, IV, V, I
vii[sup]b5[/sup]I, iii

The tutorial itself covers all of the basic keys (14 of them as we still see Gb/F# and C#/Db as alternate keys when playing and writing)

I'm still working on the minor as there are so many things to consider given that there are three forms of the relative minor for a given major key

Last edited:
Back