Bar Legnths and such for Hip Hop

bobsmitt

i'm curious how many bars should i do for verses, choruses, intros, etc.
Does anyone recommend any bar ranges i should do for this that most rappers go by. i do know alot of verses r 16 bars but give a range if you know verses with more or give a few lengths. i just wanna learn more on how to produce FOR the rapper.

16s are standard but it really dont matter in hip hop as long as the song is hot and feels good. hip hop is all feeling. 16 is just a standard for 4 min song radio formats.

NaychaBoy said:
16s are standard but it really dont matter in hip hop as long as the song is hot and feels good. hip hop is all feeling. 16 is just a standard for 4 min song radio formats.

8's feel good for most simple hooks (repeating 4 bars). sometimes that can get repetitive and boring. thats why producers usually assist in creating hooks with the artist. I've heard sick 12 bar hooks but it depends on the song, the artist, and the producer. I would suggest sitting down with the rapper and creating from scratch. thats how you learn. not making a beat cd and having an artist pick one.

Yes 16 bars for the verses and 8 for the hooks are standart commercial structure. Intro has usually not more than 8 bars. What about outros and bridges, i think it has no any standart, but let it be evenly even to sound right.
Actually there are lots of songs that has 24 bars for verses. Some songs have no hooks at all and the verses got 32 bars. U can make whatever u want, maybe just u will change the "standart" structure of the songs ;)

BTW u can just listen to songs of major artist u like and count the bars...

Back