On average, how much of your day do you dedicate to production/music?

lachlanism

as stated above..

I probably spend about an hour and a bit. I feel as if i should be spending more though.
How much time do you dedicate on average?

My problem is focusing when im in front of the computer I work so much that when I do finally get time to make a tune im so freakin tired and not to mention if you have a wife or a girlfriend ur lucky if you get a hour a day

My problem is focusing when im in front of the computer I work so much that when I do finally get time to make a tune im so freakin tired and not to mention if you have a wife or a girlfriend ur lucky if you get a hour a day

Basically this. I have a wife and a newborn baby, so i don't have that much time to spend making beats. On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of video-games, so the spare time I have I split between playing games and doing beats.

I think everyone has different habits & processes depending on a range of real-life issues.

For me, I tend to create music in spells. I sort of get into a writing/producing phase for a few weeks at a time, then I'll spend some time on my site, hardware maint, distracted with family, etc, or even work on the house. Thats me.

I sold my kidney for Focusrite Scarlett, my left frontal lobe for a Fantom x6 keyboard and condenser mic, my appendix for a fender strat (hahaha their loss).
So with that being said whatever time I have left from a 30-40 hour work week I spend making tunes, researching theory, composing, mixing, mastering and overall anything to do with music. Ive got lots of free time on my hands. No girl or kids. I guess my answer is a lot.

It's not uncommon for me to start working on a project and lose track of time for 8 hours.Other days I'm not really feeling it and I may mess around on the piano for 30 minutes before quitting.

^^^My fault, to clarify, that 10-16 hours a day isn't spent soley making beats/producing. It's spent mixing, recording, checking emails, on phonecalls, BSing on the net, listening to music, ect. I probably spend about 3-4 hours a week max making "beats" unless I'm making something on the fly for a client sitting in front of me.

Well, on a day when i feel like producing, i could be coming up with a song for like 4 - 6 hours.

But when mastering and mixing its gonna take longer, just to get the song sound perfect.

In short, alot.

Shit.. everything goes in waves for me. 1-2 month without touching music, then a sudden week of hyper productive obsession.

Depends on what kind of work I have to do. When I was preparing for my qualifying examination I've spent atleast four hours every day on producing music and playing keyboard. I'm a season type of guy, so there are times, where I work several hours every day, and times, where I just spend like five hours a week on producing.

i work about 65 hours a week and then try to get in another 25 hours on music.. yeah.. i got no life. lol!

soundcloud.com/davidyoungg

When I have the time, I spend up to 8 hours a day in front of my computer making beats or trying to learn/use different techniques. At least an hour a day though even when I'm stretched for time

I usually get in about 3 to 4hours a day. Just depends how long i stay awake after putting my son to sleep.

Back