Artifacting/Resonance

Thirdeyedpoet

So I made this Synth with NI Massive, but when it's played at higher octaves it seems to have some kind of artifacting or resonance. I can see that sound is panning slightly from left to right very quickly. I love the sound but the sharp, shrill frequencies kill it. Any suggestions on what i need to do? Is there any plugin or technique that will help with this sort of thing? thank you for the responses.

put an inverted keyboard follower lpf on it - i.e. the filter changes its corner freq downwards the higher up the keyboard you go - set it so that the filter is wide open where the artefacts are not present (or noticable) and as you go higher and higher identify the point at which the filter freq needs to move to.

Blanket brick approach is to set an lpf about 500Hz below the nyquist frequency of your D/A convertors (this is the half-sample rate freq), as it is likely that you are getting reflections from above the nyquist freq manifesting as out-of-phase artefacts below the nyquist freq

Could you call that "self-oscillating aliasing," BC, since some setting of the synth is causing this to occur at specific notes/frequencies?

GJ

possibly, but is more likely a direct result of the Nyquist theorem is what I am thinking, so a steep (4th order) LPF with its cutoff set at 21kHz should probably fix it -the side band reflections won't get a chance to come through...

Thanks for the reply guys. I am still fairly new at producing so I don't know it all. However, I have heard of aliasing before but have yet to use any Monitoring or Analyzing software. I will have to check it out And try your suggestions as well.

I found that some synths have a band of gritty noise at 10k or 15k. For me this is far lower than SR/2. The synth will have all kinds of crap going on inside it unrelated to the DAW sample frequency.

I assume "self-oscillating aliasing" is related to self-oscillation. Thats what some physical analog low pass filters do with high resonance settings. The filter becomes an oscillator. Viruses simulate this. Digital synths will probably struggle with more extreme settings including very high resonance settings to maybe thats what self-oscillating aliasing is for.

a 5kHz+ sideband reflection is not unheard of so don't dismiss it simply because you don't know about it......

actually know, you did not suggest it was sideband reflections but other causes - read it again

you said

a steep (4th order) LPF with its cutoff set at 21kHz should probably fix it

I said that some synths create something like hes describing (regardless of whether it is aliasing or not...I never said anything about aliasing) at way lower than the DAWs SR/2 and below 21kHz.

The you said:

a 5kHz+ sideband reflection is not unheard of so don't dismiss it simply because you don't know about it......

What, exactly, are you telling me not to dismiss? You seemed to not know about the possibility of ThirdEyePoets problem being below 21kHz so maybe you should take your own advice.

Back