Arranging Question. Doubling Instruments. Yes or No?

dannydawiz

I'm writing a track right now and part of the track combines the brass section with the string section.

I know that when synthesizing sounds it is generally acceptable to layer different wave forms on top of each other with parallel unisons.

However, when it comes to orchestration is this also acceptable when it comes to real instruments?

If I had two instruments of different families playing parallel unisons then would this be considered a bad choice?
Would I be better off choosing an instrument that isn't going to be in the same range?

spoken like someone who does not know

let's compare the ranges of the main instruments in the two families

StringsLowest noteHighest noteBrasswindLowest noteHighest note
ViolinG[sub]2[/sub]A[sub]5[/sub]TrumpetE[sub]2[/sub]D[sub]5[/sub]
ViolaC[sub]2[/sub]A[sub]4[/sub]HornB[sub]0[/sub]F[sub]4[/sub]
VioloncelloC[sub]1[/sub]A[sub]3[/sub]TromboneB[sub]0[/sub]D[sub]4[/sub]
BassE[sub]-1[/sub]G[sub]3[/sub]TubaD[sub]-1[/sub]F[sub]3[/sub]

From this we can see that there is some overlap between instruments in each family and also some alignment between instruments between families

Trumpet is almost wholly within the range of the Violin (trumpet extends a 3rd lower, violin extends a 5th higher)

Horn is mostly within the range of the Viola (horn extends a 9th lower, the viola extends a 3d higher)

Trombone is mostly within the range of the 'cello (trombone extends a semitone lower, 'cello extends a 4th higher)

Tuba has the same range as the Bass but is a tone lower throughout

Duplicating lines is therefore possible with the range of E[sub]-1[/sub] - D[sub]5[/sub]. You would allocate doubled parts to the indicated instruments.

However, there is an imbalance in the tone for the trumpet and horn vs that of violins and violas, with the brass being dominant over the strings. This can be offset by having your brass lines at a lower dynamic level. You might also consider using the upper brass at the octave below the upper string lines to reinforce the lines.

note on octave numbers
Middle C = MIDI note number 60 = C[sub]3[/sub] in most daws = C[sub]5[/sub] in FL and BiaB. If you want to render the ranges given above in FL then add to the octave number

Last edited:
Thank you for the post!

When you compared the brass instruments to the string instruments it made things a lot clearer. I must admit that brass instruments I am not as familiar with in comparison to strings.
I wasn't sure how to relate the horn in comparison to the whole section.

The midi note comment was also very helpful. I always wondered why in Sibelius when I would export my files and import them into logic via midi the note ranges were different. It makes sense now of course!

I'll continue to look into these things. Thankyou bandcoach and wallenguard!

What the hell is parralel unisons?
This post didn't really make any sense to me.

You learn about them when you study part writing and counterpoint.

A unison is when you have two notes that are the same pitch playing at the same time.

For example.

D2
D2

Parallel unisons is when you have a unison followed by another unison repeatedly.

For example.

D2 E2 F2 G2
D2 E2 F2 G2

Last edited:
@bandcoach

Granted, I'm really not familiar with any of this. I just assumed that the best way to find out if it works or not was to actually try it. :P

Last edited:
@bandcoach

Granted, I'm really not familiar with any of this. I just assumed that the best way to find out if it works or not was to actually try it. :P

I guess the point was orchestrating real (or virtual "real") instruments - in which case bandcoach's advice is solid. Of course, if you're just experimenting with sound...anything goes.

Back