Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Arrangement Techniques

hrod2011 is offline Registered User
    Thanks

Arrangement Techniques

Sign in to disable this ad
    Fellow Producers,

First and foremost I would like to start off by saying hello! This is my first post on Future Producers, and I am excited to have found a site where I can talk music production with other music lovers. The reason I decided to post this thread is because I was curious about different arrangement techniques other producers use. Now what I mean by "arrangements" is your own creative process that you use to make a song.

When I start to compose a beat, I begin with a basic 8 bar loop. I dump as many sound as I can think of in the loop. Then I duplicate each track to about 4 minutes. Once I've done that I begin my mix down. I make sure that everything blends in together nicely. (I figure if I don't leave the mix for the end, I won't have a lot to do later but just a few tweaks here and there.) Once I have done the mix, I start deleting some of the loops and separate the hook from the verses. Then I work on the intro and outro in the same manner. Finally, I add a few more sounds where I feel it needs it. I will usually mix it down a few times over a few days to give myself some fresh ears.

Does anyone have a different process they use? Has your creative processes changed from when you started producing music to how you do it today? I look forward to your comments!

Very Respectfully,
    Hector Manuel

P.S. I have a few loops I threw together for anyone interested in a collaboration!
    Last edited by hrod2011; 10-02-2012 at 05:47 PM.

themurphmusic is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    hmm I suppose that technique works but I wouldn't use, I think it's quite limiting and will make your tracks sound too formatted. Maybe not. I'll try it sometime. I usually just start with kicks or a melody and build up from there.

odinnshred is offline Wireless Wizard!
    Thanks
    Yeah this really depends on the type of music you're making. In a lot of pop genres the music focuses on timbral variation rather than musical varation. That means the music will be repetitive to an extent, but the timbre will change and renew the listener's interest. I've recently made a track where there is very little musical content at all, but it just builds up and evolves the timbres over 4 1/2 minutes. It works, but I also have other tracks that go crazy musically, and other tracks that find a balance to make enjoyable listening.

So I'd vote against this arrangement method for the most part, and try and find a way to arrange around the different musical ideas that come in as the track progresses. Maybe have common ground throughout, but this is your choice really.

Rusak is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Arrangement depends a lot on which style you are producing, and also for what/which media. (radio mix, 12'single, movie stings etc.)
    Following style and media rules is essential to happy listeners. But there are no rules, so whatever works for you.
    I usually select every drum and sound piece by piece to fit with exactly what I have, as I build the track. It can be a long process but I end up with harmonically conform sounds. By jamming loads of stuff in there then taking it away and modifying I guess would be counter-productive, as you can hear loads of stuff that doesn't really fit, that you are fitting stuff to. That's just what the little voice in my head tells me, it's not necessarily right as music is an infinite science full of including chance and probability. Whatever works for you!
    epic synth journey... 4am chillout. 28th Mar 13
    https://soundcloud.com/rusak/john-scott-summer-rains

hrod2011 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Sorry for the VERY late response guys! I apologize for my rudeness. I never got an alert that anyone responded to this thread. Thank you for taking the time to provide your input. Your perspective has made me question my current technique and I will apply some of your ideas to my creative workflow! You got me all excited to try something new!

-HM-

MizzHitZthaProducer is offline freebeatsbymizzhitz.info
    Thanks
    I just go with whatever feels and sounds right. I try not to stick to a certain format.

A Kind Machine is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    All I can really say is trust your gut and develop your ear by constantly listening to new music. It is fun to try limiting yourself as well, like say you are only going to use four instruments for a track and see how interesting you can make it. If you look at classical music, a lot of music was written back then specifically for individual instruments, so approaching modern instruments with that sort of specific intention can lead to surprising results. You can learn a lot about strengths and weaknesses of individual instruments in this way.

YungT94 is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Just be creative and try n be as progressive as possible that what I do I'm nt say its the right way , but it delievers

GKPL is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Block Mode in Reason . Since this mode i was never arranging beats.
    I have template with drawed blocks: Intro,Verse,Chorus,Verse,Chorus,Break,Verse.
    I make intro,8 bar Verse loop and 8 bar Chorus/Break.
    Reason is doing everything for me

A Kind Machine is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    The fact that you can do that scares me a little bit, but to each their own! All I can say is you get out what you put into it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information