Anyone know hot to make slap bass synth?

Jiwan

I was wondering if anyone can give me a general(or specific :P) idea of how to make the slap bass sound you hear on almost every glitch hop song. I know it's FM synthesis, but that's as far as I know. I do have FM8, but never got to experiment with it, so any general tip would be appreciated.

An example would be the bass from 5 hours by Deorro (even though it's not glitch hop), around 0:53

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's an actual slap bass, but either distorted or layered with a reece.
You can hear it cleanly about 3.08, then the FX/layer come in a little later.

I don't think FM is involved. Someone may have been telling you porkies...

Last edited:
Either that or a bassemulation plugin, probably an emulation since it sounds a little digital (at least to me).
You can recreate a bassguitar in synthesis, but that's a little advanced and unnecessary unless you like to challenge yourself.

so listened at last (only have a few days I can do this sort of extended analysis now)

Reece bass throughout no slap as such, but you are hearing a square wave pluck sound (what turns into the offbeat melodic synth) playing on the off beat at the same pitch/octave above as the Reece bass

nothing special really

I do know how to get very close.

I use trilian bass vst and select slap bass. Then make a melody thas groovy to your kick filter out quite a lot of the low end, compress it a bit and add a timy bit of distortion and a tiny bit of bitcrush and it will start sounding like deorros slap. Make the notes very short staccato snappy but u will have to fiddle around with that for a while. I also like to make a copy of the vst but select the muted bass option for and copy paste & delete some of the notes from the slap bass track and add to the muted so it alternates between them. Send the mute to the same channel as the slapp and u'll get o cool mute slap groovy bass riff. Then side chain that pretty heavy to your kickdrum
and add a short weak reverb. I prefer spring reverb using guitar rig. Then make a sub bass and copy paste the notes from your bass tracks so you'll get the subby parts filling the notes there side chain that even heavier and also remove notes from the higher up notes of the fretboard if you know what i mean? Doing this then having a nice kick drum and tight clap makes for a sick bass riff. Deorros sounds is a lot about using different bass sounds and alternating the notes sort of like dubstep bass riffs would. Its very important to let the kick hit freely and all the bass notes having spaces between the kick hits. If anyone interested i can upload what it sounds like when i program a slap bass similair to deorros.

Back