anybody ever feel....

P

punnisher9

IM a newbie producer...DONT HAVE 1 TRACK UNDER MY BELt yet...maybe its me, maybe im dumb, maybe i suck...but, i aint gettin nothing from my brain...nothing that resembles music pops out when i pop my mpc pads...
anybody ever feel they jus weren't getting a melody, a bassline, whatever...i jus cant get anything..
is this common in the beginning? ive only had my equipment for about 4 days...
WILL music start coming to me?
any tips, techniques on how to begin a track...ANYTHING!
please, holla at me..

thanx people

just imagine what you want and try and duplicate it with your mpc. sounds like you just need practice. sometimes it takes years to make good music.

I'd say u gotta stop trying to make music and just look for inspiration. Listen to as many different genres as you can. Get yourself stuck right into the music until its just bursting to get out. MRT could be right tho, maybe its just not your thing. I started to make music cos i had all this crazy stuff in my head that needed to be released or i would explode. Remember, you're only 4 days old, stick with it and if your heart's in it, you'll get better.

But to be more practical, i would suggest just laying down a simple kick, snare, kick, snare and just grooving to that for a bit. Hum some melodies or something, and when you find one you like, replicate it on the MPC. Think about where you want the beat to thump or ride along, and emphasise this with the lengths and pitches of your notes. And its also a nice thing to hear the drums and melodies working together, and you're not limited to one melody either. You can layer up as much you like. Once you get used to arranging, just wait until you gotta start learning what a compressor does.....

And remember to post in the review forum, most of us are happy to give detailed feedback. Welcome to FP, Peace!

Could you describe better your problem in order to help you?????

seems a completely normal problem...

try and somewhat copy a few of your favorite songs. along the way, you'll find your own path and it will help you learn the basics as you go and see how they constructed the song. it's how i learned to draw...i used to find some piece i already liked, and try and copy the best i could...eventually i could make my own from scratch that were tight

It's a damn pain in the ass sometimes. When you got that crazy super killer loop in your head and you'r just bursting to get it out. But then you somehow screw the arrangement up, the notes, the certain fx you want on this bar, and that melody synt programming/preset just dosen't do it. etc etc etc.

what can you do ? Write down your idea, write down what you feel you need to do with it, and when you get your creativity floating some other day, finish it of!

you have to know the language before you can write a novel. Do you have any idea how to play an instrument? Do you know anything about music composition?

yeh like boogieman said: try and recreate ur favourite tunes or tunes byyu artists u like..

at samplecity.net there is a forum for FL specificaly and there is a thread which is on 'Covers'

see when ur tryin to recreate someone else's tune u know EXACTLY the sound u want - ths is EXACLTY what u need to do in ur tunes.. ppl need to have the precise sound in their head

punnisher9 said:
IM a newbie producer...DONT HAVE 1 TRACK UNDER MY BELt yet...maybe its me, maybe im dumb, maybe i suck...but, i aint gettin nothing from my brain...nothing that resembles music pops out when i pop my mpc pads...
anybody ever feel they jus weren't getting a melody, a bassline, whatever...i jus cant get anything..
is this common in the beginning? ive only had my equipment for about 4 days...
WILL music start coming to me?
any tips, techniques on how to begin a track...ANYTHING!
please, holla at me..

thanx people

Don't worry. Everyone is like this including myself. Just pick a set of keys that sound nice as a chord and a scale. Then play in it. It will be hard at first and you probably won't achieve harmony in your first try but after a couple months of practice, the musical part of your brain should increase due to such excercises and you will be able to freestyle a melody.

Experiment with the scales and chords. Try to see what each have to say. Some could be happy, some could be sad, some could be Melancholy. One thing I learned is that countries from around the world sorta have their own chord/scale that makes their music sound like their music; Russian Music sound "Russian" or Peruvian music sound "Peruvian", etc.

To play in a scale, just find out which keys make up that scale and only use those keys. Ignore the rest, as far as we know the rest don't exist.

Take a look at what chords are used in some of your favorite songs. And play in using the keys they use, but dont try to make it sound to much like theirs - You want to be artistic and unique.

www.musictheory.net helps as well.

My very first 30 or so tracks were all covers or basic remixes of my favourite music. I just sampled straight from other songs and practiced getting the beats tight. Then moved onto making my own tracks.

It Takes time, you have to know what your doing first of all. and you have to want to make something, it takes time. sometimes i go a couple of days before i start to compose a new beat. youll get there it just takes time. check me out at www.acidplanet.com Unfadeable E.R.G. The King

I've discovered that I need a purpose to write, otherwise nothing of any value generally comes out.

If I sit down and say "I'm going to write a song!" then I'm stuck, whereas if I know that a friend has written some parody lyrics of a current pop song, I'm more tempted to try and do my own arrangement of it so we can try adding his lyrics over the top. I've learned more technical skills from the set projects I've taken on than from the endless hours I'll spend tinkering on my own tracks, because with the set projects I know exactly what is needed, I just have to find out how to do it. And this process gives me techniques that I then have to use on my own work later.

I don't believe for a second that there's a person on this planet who cannot make music, if only they're willing to learn two important things: how to do it, and what it is they want to say :)

alex23 said:
I don't believe for a second that there's a person on this planet who cannot make music, if only they're willing to learn two important things: how to do it, and what it is they want to say :)

couldnt have said it better myself!

Punnisher9, Don't lose heart. I've been there before.You just need to find your zone and train yourself to get into it whenever you need to.It's easier said than done but nuttin's impossible. Keep ya head up and stay in the game.

In addition to and probably repeating some of people have posted:

1) Learn your tools. Spend the time needed to know how to operate your equipment. You might find some tutorial that says "Now set the quantize to 16th..." and you'll be going, where is that???

2) Learn what you can about the craft. There are tons of tutorial on music theory, drumming, guitar, piano, etc etc etc. Read about what you want to do. Search the 'net and bookmark like a mofo

3) Make small goals and follow them through. Don't fool yourself by thinking the next platinum seller is coming from your next track.

4) Learn how to actively listen to music and break it down in your head and then try to emulate parts of music that appeal to you. You like the way that hi-hat sequence on a certain track sounds? emulate as best you can. Start listening to music like a scientist. Learn to recognize when the beat changes, when chords change, the structure of a song etc.. You probably do this already to a certain degree. I bet on a song you never heard before you can tell when the verse is about to go into the chorus.. Now take it to the next level and listen for those things that you ordinarily dont listen for.

5) Have fun. Sure it can be a lot of work but make sure you do it for the right reasons - to satisyfy yourself. Having others feel your ish is icing on the cake.

6) Come here to read, learn and interact. ALso try to be helpful when you can to give back to the community.

7) stay humble. The minute you think you are the ultimate you only have downhill to go from there. There is always something new to learn and there is always someone better than you in some ways.

8) Participate in contest if you can. I learned soo much from participating in beat battles here. It's amazing.

Peace..

Learning music may be fine and help you later on but you don't need it to make music. That **** comes from the in inside..use your emotions to piece things together or feelings...I find just putting two different sounds together envokes a new feeling or mood, just play around and have fun, don't take it too seriously. Soon enough you'll be spitting them out like mad...I think :) I love all genre's of music so it's easier to make a piece of music out of almost anything.

Don't expect things to happen quickly. Just take your time and try to learn what you can about music and the recording process. If you have it in you, things will just click as you are trying new things. You gotta start with the basics though, and maybe get a little MIDI keyboard and learn some basic music theory perhaps. That's just my opinion, but try to think of yourself as a "student" instead of a "producer" when you are just starting out. You gotta learn to crawl, then walk before running.

Back