any producers went to full sail for recording arts in orlando?

People can learn anywhere, anytime, if they work at it.

And if they don't work at it, they won't learn, no matter how much they pay.

Most working engineers have come up 'the hard way' working as (sometimes unpaid) gofers and set-up people, moving up to assistant engineer (often paid under the table and below minimum), finally 'breaking through' to the point where they can actually line up working gigs as engineers, usually temporary-project oriented work, of course, there aren't very many full-time audio production jobs and there are a whole lot of experienced engineers and production types out there.

The best gigs are in advertising or in-house production. Not that you'll be working on cool music. You won't be. It'll just be meat and potatoes library and loop work. But it might just allow you to pay for a modest apartment someplace. Top people make good money. But most ride the bus. And way too many sleep under bridges (not necessarily figuratively speaking).

You can learn in the school of hard knocks, but a lot of community and state schools have programs that attempt to impart as much knowledge as possible -- even if they are often stumped at providing meaningful professional experience -- since few of the instructors have ever worked in the real world. Ultimately, you'll still need to go out and scrounge around the real world to get real experience.

As others have no doubt noted, a lot of the commercial schools are bollocks.

There used to be a great website called fullsailsucks.com put up and maintained by former (and some current) Full Sail students (and at least one or two ex-instructors, as I recall). But FS sued them and one day they just disappeared.

The thing about joints like Full Sail is that they cost a huge amount of money and there are damn few jobs out there, compared to the number of people who graduate from those $30-$40K plus programs.

When I was going to school (two community college programs that, in the early 80's were the only certificating programs besides the venerable program at the University of Miami) there were a lot more engineering jobs and the studio scene was a lot healthier. But almost no one got gigs, and those who did still had to do unpaid 'hang time' waiting to get a chance to run for burgers or set up a few mic stands.

And that was then. Now, home studios, MIDI, and, especially looping softare and hardware have devastated that scene. Advertising work that used to be sent out for full studio sessions with highly paid union musicians and full studio staffs is now done in house at agencies by college interns.

If you're independently wealthy and you can afford to toss off 40 grand to learn a hobby, go for it.

Otherwise, think long and hard...

Last edited:
Just learn your ****, either at school or on your own, move to a location where work is accessable, and ****ing NETWORK and you to can make money. Stop ****ing bitching about how your school sucks or doesn't suck. The real test is if you can make a ****ing profit at what you do!

My best friend went to full sail. He is also one of the people to claim that it is totally WORTHLESS. He is a hard-worker too, not some lazy bastard that didn't get the most out of it because he skipped class. According to him, you can learn what fullsail teaches you in six months from toying around in a home studio and reading a few books.

That's the most stupid comment that I have ever heard. Your telling me that you can learn how to use a million dollar SSL or Neve console by sitting in a ten thousand dollar home studio and reading books!!!!? I guess ignorence is bliss!!!!!

I use to think the same thing but its hard to get the same experience out of a home studio. Impossiable unless u have a couple million as a budget. J dub u need a hug bro chill out.

What about other schools? I live in the maryland area. Can someone speak more about other places they've studied at?

Didnt read the whole post but....

I am planning on attending a new school (VERY new, established 2002) called IPR in Minneapolis. I toured it and thought it was pretty cool. It's small, the teachers still work for the music industry while they teach(one won a grammy recently), there is almost no restrictions about when to use studios, (even record your friends band for practice at no obligation there), and 3 computer labs with tritons on each computer, (about 30 computers total).... match that with a midi lab, pro tools lab (the whole thing is pro tools based, but its there), a visual arts lab, a mastering studio, and it sounds like a pretty sweet package.

And less than 1/2 of Full Sail, and programs available JUST for producers, or for music business. Im hearing nothing but good things, and a personal approach to music creation/ engineering. Sounds very good.

www.iprschool.com

And if you just want to get your feet wet...

www.iprproschools.com

Hope you consider this as well, and I might see ya there as a classmate in the near future :)

I went to Full Sail - and really, it's up to you to do something with the education. After you take out liveng expense loans (beause you don't have time for a job) - you'll be in for about 45 G's. My advice - buy 45 G's of equipment and read some manuals.

It's a cool place to meet some great people, and work on stuff you'll never be able to buy - but too many people have ruined the name of the school in the industry. I graduated 3rd in my class, and I couldn't get a second look in any studio's. The industry as a whole is on the way down, and lots of big studio's are closing their doors.

You can get an internship easily, because they don't have to pay you a dime! It's a double standard though, because with the student loans you can't swing an internship (unless you have a rich daddy, which I do not), and without some type of education, you can't get that internship at any real studio - because sadly enough, they have thousands of people willing to work for free.

Just be careful no matter where you decide to attend - we work in an industry that is all about being part of the crowd, and it's tough to get in. If you ask me - it's like getting a degree in being a movie star - pretty much useless.

You will learn a lot of stuff at Full Sail (even though most people front and say they didn't learn anything - throw your ego's out the door), just make sure your going there with the right expectations. Don't listen to a word your advisors say - they are salesman, so they will tell you all kinds of BS about how 80% of their grads get jobs. All my friends graduated with 95% and above - and this was 8 months ago - so far, no one has a real gig.

Anyone can hit me up if you want info about Full Sail.

A friend of mine, who is also a Berklee MP&E graduate, was at AES this year and had the chance to talk to a few Full Sail instructors. Long story short, get financial aid and go to Berklee or UM. I was one of the few who got into the UM program, but went to Berklee. They approach the field teaching the student how to be a producer and an engineer, and one of the larger reasons over the UM program was the teaching of analog recording. I took several tours of the UM studio, and noticed a Tascam 24 track sitting in the back of the studio. It hadn't been used in two years. That was in May of 2004. Berklee provides several semesters of study on analog recording, along with using the standard Pro-Tools etc. I know I'm pushing the Berklee program, but if you're serious to do this for a living, UM, Berklee, and now Tisch have quite serious programs. Audio engineers aren't just needed in music. :)

Let us know when you get a job.

;)

But good luck for sure! :)

PS... University of Miami has the oldest program in the nation, as I recall and there's no question that Berklee is one of the premier schools for commercial musicians.

Last edited:
I've got several. Designing a studio for a classical guitarist (www.antondelforno.com) , and then engineering his album. Over the summer either I'm joining as an A2 for an off Broadway show or working with a theatre sound designer in Fl. There are jobs.

Friend of mine from UM works for Motorola as an audio engineer designing speaker systems for Nextel phones.

Keep up the good work.

One thing's for sure: if you give up, you'll never make it.

There were people who made it from the schools I attended 20 years ago and there were two kinds of people who made it: those with family connections in the industry (what else is new) and those who worked their asses off and weren't too proud to take whatever audio work they could find.

Of course, not everyone who drops out of the race does so because they can't find work. But that's probably a subject for another thread.

You strike me as someone who'll get somewhere. But keep your eyes open, just the same.

Cheers.

I go to full sail and it's just like going to any other place u get out of it what u put into. If you just sit in class and just think that the degree will get you a $100,000 dollar paying job then you'll be sadly mistaken, just look at the other 50-100 people in your class with the same degree and same dreams, everybody can't be puffy. It's the same thing with like a law school for instance u have Johnny Cockraine then you have a local Joe chasing ambulances. Basically what I'm saying is it's all about you.

Mane Im Going but its should be a breeze for all of us on future producers.the only downfall is that i think its gonna teach us stuff we alreadi know. but if neone on future producers go halla at me. cus its gone b TYTE

They teach u more about engineering and how to run a studio session not how to make beats. But it's still tight.

I have to know. What makes you guys want to waste $50,000 on such a universally accepted joke?

Even industry professionals know this place is complete garbage. Putting Full Sail on your resume will get you more laughs than jobs. Get your money back while you can and stop supporting these scammers.

AND YOUR BACK UP AND PROOF IS WHERE?. . .O YEAH ITS 35, 000 LAST TYME I CHECKED

Last edited by a moderator:
KomplexBeats said:
miami-dade college has amazing facilities. I attend the program and its great.

Music Engineering is a waste of a degree though nobody is hiring strictly engineers anymore. Producers are doing it themselves these days. If you want a well-rounded program MDC and UM are the places to go in Florida.

Peace

happy to hear that...Im going to Miami Dade right now ...and Im first taking the Bull**** courses first like ENC 1101 and MAC and Philosophy and **** then imma take Midi and Recording 1 and the REAL classes.....

Ooo and does SAE offer a Bachelors?

Last edited:
Back