any producers went to full sail for recording arts in orlando?

I understand that the facilities are "state of the art", but is all of it used in your average stuido? I heard that some of this stuff is so new that some studios dont even have it. I dont know if I'd want to be pampered like that, then go into a real studio and find inferior equipment. That would kind of suck...

-Geoffrey

roon said:
yea they came to my school for a presentation... 18 hour work days... screw that!

Who the hell told you full sail had 18 hour work days?! It's 8 hours a day at the most.

young professa said:
so so true. that's why i'm still going to full sail around 2005 or 2006 hopefully regardless of all the negetivity this school is getting, whether true or not. you can't knock the facilities, plus they have a new post production degree program

LOL. Full sail is going to be like $100,000 by then.

geoff_emerick said:
I understand that the facilities are "state of the art", but is all of it used in your average stuido? I heard that some of this stuff is so new that some studios dont even have it. I dont know if I'd want to be pampered like that, then go into a real studio and find inferior equipment. That would kind of suck...

-Geoffrey

It works out. I know the SSL and the Amek pretty well. My boy has a mackie 32x8, and the same concepts apply (signal flow). If you know one DAW, you'll quickly be able to learn others. I see what your saying though... I have wondered the same thing... after Full Sail when will I ever touch an SSL fader (other than cleaning it)?

I guess I'll chime in since I go to the most hated school in America. Full Sail hasn't been that bad. There has been plenty of Bullshyt and bullshyt classes, but other classes have offset that bullshyt. I'm about to graduate in September and I'm wondering where will I get a job at?... but don't get it twisted, because SAE, Expressions, IAR, CRAS and Berklee grads are all wondering the same thing. It's a competitive industry where recording school grads are competing for the same internships (who is gonna get the job as coffee maker and errand boy). Think things through... if you want to be a producer, recording school is not really the place for you. You don't HAVE to go to recording to be an engineer, but IMO it makes moving up a little easier. The gear a school has is nice, but it's not everything considering most studios don't care about your knowledge of protools or an SSL. I've always said it doesn't really matter what school you go to, because upon graduation everyone will be in the same boat. I just liked full sail the best, so that's where I went.

sup yo, ay do u have aim or somethin i wanna talk to u bout full sail, cause also im prolly goin there 05-06 year.. if u do, my sn is CHAZLIMITXL

yo,
I start at Full Sail at the end of August. The place is a bit pricey but worth it if you apply the knowledge learned. If you're not commited to recording as a career and you think the area is "boring" and lacks "girls" , then Full Sail may not be the place for you. The job market is competitive, but not impossible, so basically, if you can't find a job or internship you're not trying hard enough.

Listen. Or aum.. Look.

I would have given anything to have gone to FullSail. I was advised over and over NOT to go. SO I majored in Advertising instead.

The results?

Part regret, part thankful...

My best friend graduated from FullSail and is now a very successful recording engineer in Chicago. BUT the quality of talent that is surfacing in Chicago is nothing he will willingly put on his demo.

Do all your research. Talk to lots of people.
All the previous posts have GREAT points. UM is awesome (if you're sticking to FL)!

FullSail cranks out their students way too fast. You can get the same quality experience by being an intern at a reputable company. ALSO- Valencia Community College (near FullSail as well) offers great digital media programs that can supplement your internships... and it's a helluva lot cheaper.

Good Luck. let us know what you decide!

~S.

Last edited by a moderator:
MidCoast881 said:
yo,
I start at Full Sail at the end of August. The place is a bit pricey but worth it if you apply the knowledge learned. If you're not commited to recording as a career and you think the area is "boring" and lacks "girls" , then Full Sail may not be the place for you. The job market is competitive, but not impossible, so basically, if you can't find a job or internship you're not trying hard enough.

the area is boring an the girls thing was a joke, an tell me how it wont be for me if i think the area is boring? lol anyway will a mod shut this topic down already i got enough info, thank you.

I have heard the same things about Full Sail unfortunately. I didn't even know they granted degrees.

Univ. of Miami however is indeed a real school and grants both Bachelor's and Master's degrees. Also, I understand Florida International University in Miami is growing their recording programs as well, but I'm not sure yet whether it's good or not. It probably depends on what teachers they have, so it looks like a visit to Miami is in your future to check these two out.

Why do you want to be in Florida? I went to Berklee College of Music in Boston and loved it, it's probably the best contemporary music school period. There is also a program at USC in LA, but I don't know too much about it other than it's very expensive. Whatever you do, I would avoid MI in LA, I understand that is trying to be more of a college now but somewhat of a farce.

Good luck!! =)

You are all crazy. I graduated from full sail with two degrees and learned a **** load there while being completley high all the time and am now doing really well for myself financially. And i can't spell!!!! The school rocks and so do the facilities and education.

i took the tour there, i was impressed with the facilities, but from what i understand is they schedule your labs etc at weird times so if you wanted to get a job you wouldnt be able to...they also werent too helpful in finding financial aide unless my mom wanted to take out a 2nd mortgage on her house...i think ill probably end up going to the conservatory or recording arts in arizona, ive heard nothing but good things come out of there.

yeah, i was researching some schools awhile back, and the one in arizona seems to be the best bet. and they actually hook you up with a mandatory internship your last year to help get your foot in the door. this would be my choice, as far as going to a school that is strictly about audio engineering/recording.

but if you want to go the university route, U of miami and middle tenn state are the two schools to beat.

I WOULD NOT GO TO FULLSAIL. Curently i am going to fullsail for digital media.. its okay, but they really dont teach you ****. My roomate is in the recording arts program, and he says its not worth it at all. TRUST ME. Fullsail will sell you the "tour" and all the "magic" , but when you get here, you will wonder, right up till the end if it was worth your 50k. In all honesty its not. The real reality of it is, its too fast of a school. you are constantly trying to cram **** in your head and cant learn much.. plus, you get no experience, because they barely give you any lab time. Take my word, orlando sucks, and so doesnt fullscam. I cant wait to get my degree and be out.

I went to Full Sail for a little bit, they said I was the first to drop out, however I highly doubt that. Back in 97' the teachers were lame, mostly Full Sail grads that couldn't find jobs, and the main thing they kept stressing was kiss ass and you may be lucky enough to find a job. I realized I didn't need to spend 35+ grand in order to know this. I already had just bought a home studio 6 months prior and I was already teaching myself what I needed to know.
Besides, the audio engineering jobs have disappeared, so why go into debt when you won't be able to pay it back, unless your a rich kid with a bad attitude like most of the kids at that school. Not to mention, Full Sail has gained a bad rep in the industry, you may be less likely to find a job if you have that on your resume.

yup pretty much what he said as well. Im glad im in the digital media field.. i switched over right before i started, because i noticed all the **** my roomate was going through, all for nothing.

And when they say 90% placement in jobs, then include best buy and sound install places.. fullscam.. all lies.

[email]d1giPhux@gmail.com[/email] said:
yup pretty much what he said as well. Im glad im in the digital media field.. i switched over right before i started, because i noticed all the **** my roomate was going through, all for nothing.

And when they say 90% placement in jobs, then include best buy and sound install places.. fullscam.. all lies.

LOL@ fullscam. Its raised to 50k now??!! I talked to someone who went there and said it was useless. I wanted to go, but like others have said it has a band rep. At one time like 3 people wanted to sue them.

-Geoffrey.

Do any of you remember the web site fullsailsucks.com where post there honest opinions about the school and how much it sucksthen fullsail got wind of it, hired an entire law firm and took the kid that was running the site (fullsail graduate) to court and shut his site down!!

LOL fullscam. LOOK life is what u make it. If u wanna get high and leave class early rather than learning the programs in and out thats on you and will reflect how quickly u get a job in the indusrty. I agree that fullsail is not exactly what the tour shows but u have to be wiliing to work at it. I dont know of a school that gives u access to multimillion dollar equipment 24 hours a day. Anyway I am in my third month at fullsail and i am about to turn it up a notch.

Back