Any books that anybody could recommend?

Yeah, I've been playing guitar for a few years. I know scales, and chords, it's just if I wanted to start to compose a large orchestral song I wouldn't know where to start.

Yeah, I've been playing guitar for a few years. I know scales, and chords, it's just if I wanted to start to compose a large orchestral song I wouldn't know where to start.

Same here, been playing guitar and piano for four years. Honestly, I don't know of any books right off the top of my head, but here is a link someone sent me that discusses the basics of orchestration. I never got around to reading it in-depth, but it seems legit.
Principles of Orchestration On-line

Mark J Butler: Unlocking the groove
Rick Snoman The Dance Music Manual 2nd ed.

{The Complete Idiots Guide to}Arranging and Orchestration {for Dummies}
{The Complete Idiots Guide to}Composition {for Dummies}
{The Complete Idiots Guide to}Songwriting {for Dummies}

I'd save your money and just go to audiotuts.com. They have alot of great tutorials to get you started and then if you feel they aren't getting the job then i would make my way to a guitar center or wherever music store and buy a book or two.

Learn some piano also, you will get a broader vision of harmony. I am guitar player, but piano is a really powerful instrument that helps to envision the whole thing!.

Also , learn chord voicings, and bear in mind that writing for horns is really different than Strings for example. Is because of envelopes and overtones... a lot of physco acoustics things rule all that also. and pure harmony of course

cheers

e-mixmaster.com

Back