Another 808 Post (HipHop)

I was just curious as to how some of you prefer introducing 808 (sub) into your mix for hiphop/Trap music.

Do you use a VST to create the 808 or stick to just .WAV sample and manipulate that?

What are some perks/disadvantages of using a VST for your 808's?
What are some perks/disadvantages of using just a sample for your 808's?

Also, what big time producers have your favorite sounding 808's?

I like getting a WAV with a loud tail and play around with effects and EQ until I like the sound. Then I like to layer and sidechain a short kick or 2 and mix them until I like the way it hits.
Gotta give props to the Shawty Redd 808 sample. It wasn't really till Lex Luger took it that it became so popular. Trap was basically invented off that sound. Even as the whole trap movement dies down those drums are here to stay.

What about tuning the sample? Does this ever get to be a tedious process, or is it usually pretty easy?
I use Ableton, and I have noticed that transposing samples takes away from the overall sound quality which is why I have been using Massive for my 808's as of lately.

Honestly, FL studio's Edison's pitch detector does a pretty good job of doing the hard part for me, so transposing usually doesn't pose too much of an issue after a little mixing. I have a couple go-to effects to clear up the low ends and get a nice smooth sound, but in the end it not much more than the mixing I would end up doing anyway. Massive's kicks sound great, but I suppose I feel like i can have more control over the sound through sampling, and I find the sound to be a little less synthetic.

I really like the 808 collection I've acquired over the years and I purchased a sound pack from sounds in HD that has every 808 starting on C and ending on C there just good crisp samples you can pretty much start from scratch with. Its nice because you can add your own distortion and fx most trap packs you get there already compressed and distorted to hell n back which leaves you no room to do your thing...just some food for thought

I really like the 808 collection I've acquired over the years and I purchased a sound pack from sounds in HD that has every 808 starting on C and ending on C there just good crisp samples you can pretty much start from scratch with. Its nice because you can add your own distortion and fx most trap packs you get there already compressed and distorted to hell n back which leaves you no room to do your thing...just some food for thought
Yeah same here. Just take a raw drum machine sample and play with it.

I like using operator in Ableton to create my 808's. I throw on some distortion on them with camel crusher or manny distortion in waves. eq . a little compression/sidechain. and lastly i make it mono using the utility plugin.

i just stopped using wavs. i could never get the 808 sounding exactly how i wanted .

Last edited:
Back