Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: to all producers,what is the scale you most use for?

Eldrige is offline Registered User
    Thanks

to all producers,what is the scale you most use for?

Sign in to disable this ad
    what is the key you most use for?
    1.hip hop
    2.rnb
    3.pop

i am just trying to get some info coz for sometime i have been stuck using the C scale and the Eb scale sometimes the Bb also.
    Last edited by Eldrige; 01-02-2013 at 03:36 AM.

Destinationup is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    I try to learn all scales, so I try to practice various scales with each new beat I work on. I really like the a scale for rnb and for hip hop pop I really don't try to do but if it sounds like pop to me it just sounds like pop and that's mostly the C scale
    Last edited by Destinationup; 01-02-2013 at 07:53 AM.
    After 2 years i am still a beginning producer. But i will persevere and will not quit.

rhythmgj is offline Character in Spades...
    Thanks
    If I had to pick one, I'd say "minor" or Aeolian.

GJ
    likes this.

ProfessionalP is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    For hip-hop and r&b, you'll want to experiment with every type of scale. If you want that classic rap sound, you'll have to draw from jazz, soul, funk, blues melodies. Blues is interesting in particular because so much music evolved from it. Personally, I've made beats using the blues scale, minor and major. Unfortunately, I could not tell you other scales I used because I cannot remember without opening many of my beats. Hip-hop is so broad and everyone has their own adaptation of what they consider a hip-hop beat. It really depends on what you are trying to achieve because the scale has a direct influence on the feeling and style of a beat. Just don't limit yourself and have an open ear for the music of yesteryear. One good idea I just thought of..is take your favourite songs and analyse those. I know this is basic but maybe you'll learn a lot by analysing just one riff or loop or whatever that triggers your interest. Good luck
    likes this.
    Professional P - Beat monster, rap artist and computer nerd
    www.professionalp.com

SuperbHerb is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    For Hiphop I used C natural minor and D# natural minor scale the most.
    likes this.

TDOT is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    All scales for sure, when I first started I would ask the same question hoping someone would give me the "Magic Scale" where I can just hit keys and it will sound amazing but that doesn't exist. I would try a new scale everytime or every few times.

The scale can change the mood and feeling, but it's really up to you to come up with the melody at the end of the day.
    likes this.

Tjgibosse is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    I use c but I really REALLY need to expand my range..
    likes this.

TDOT is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjgibosse View Post
    I use c but I really REALLY need to expand my range..
    For sure, I would expand big time. Key of C is most common and the first scale we learn, to expand and make things interesting I would for sure look into scales

Eldrige is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    i am glad i made this thread so helpfull,thanks fam

A Kind Machine is offline Registered User
    Thanks
    The key comes down to your vocalist's range just like the tempo comes down to the ideal fit for the groove. If you are not using a vocalist then it's worth experimenting with playing a line you are planning on using in MIDI and transposing it through all of the scale degrees and octaves until you find the range that it sits in the best. This may be because the reverb on the track responds to a certain harmonic that only comes out in certain notes, or the low notes are resonating better in certain keys than others, or whatever. I think it is worth taking the time to do this early on in a track as I like to have a guide track that sounds good early and contains the essence of the groove and sound. While I usually use live instruments for that, MIDI ones will work better for this scenario I think (transposing in DAW).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information