Adding variation to a drop

Nate19197

This is my first post to this forum so I'm not sure if this is the right section, but when I make trap or house music during the drop Ill notice everything seems repetitive and kind of boring. There isnt much variation but when I try to add in variation all I know what to do is a 4x4 clap or hihat line or something similar. It seems like majority of tracks out there go by this structure too and I obviously don't wanna sound like everyone else. I was just wondering what are some other things or effects I can do to make the "drop" not so plain? Thank you.

If you try to limit the use of percussion in your drop, you can find more interesting variations in your synths. Typically, synths tend to just get louder and louder closer to the drop. But one idea could be to cut a few notes out of some of your patterns as it gets closer. Or you can high pass your bass a bit to make a little more headroom in that section. Or limit the use of white noise to just let the synths run by themselves. Or maybe even just pitch down some of your synths.

Lot you can do. Personally, I've gotten sick of drops that build through the typical 4x4 snares, hats, etc, so I prefer more "melodic" drops. (I guess that's the term to use).

Thank you for the reply. I understand what you mean and will try to use that on one of the tracks I'm working on. Any other advice is definitely welcome!

try just listening to your song, or drop in this case. as soon as you get to a point where it feels boring, then change something. whether its a really small sample or fast arp, or a different note, or vibrato on a lead, or whatever. keep doing that until you don't get bored listening. try different lengths and rhythms on the lead synths youre using, etc.

Back