Adding FX to EDM tracks

SpacedOutBeats

Hey whats up guys, I'm kinda knew to the edm production scene. Im actually working on my first track and iv already put 15+ hours into it. I have been watching a lot of videos and reading about little tricks you can do to make things sound better, for example how to make your drop harder and such. Im almost done the layout of the track, and i have literally no effects besides reverb, and a little bit of delay on some instruments. I only know what a few fx do, but i would really like this first song to come out decent, and I'm not sure what and where would i put fx to make this great. I know its different for every song, and thats part of the creativity, but i don't even know where to start. Does anyone know of a good book or maybe video tutorials on adding fx to your edm track? Im working on an electro house- trap type style track. Also if you have any tricks that you would wanna share that would be awesome! A few examples of the type of fx I'm taking about is maybe putting delay on an instrument and panning dry to the left and the delay to the right, or maybe adding a little reverb on the last few notes of a measure to give it the spacey effect. Im not to sure, but if anyone can send me in the right direction that would be great! Thanks guys.

Experiment, try whatever's on your mind, and find out what sounds you like.
However, you have the classic whitenoise-risers and booms, revere-reverbclaps or snares, rising synths, dropping synths etc.
Also analyze music and study what FX they use to get inspired.

Last edited:
Is there anything that can show me how to pick out and notice these effects? Google failed me this time, but what i mean is when i listen to a song and anywise it, i may here some cool effect and I'm left wondering what effect is that? Or how would i achieve such effect? I guess if i knew the effect then i can learn how to do that so i guess what i need to learn is distinguishing different fx.

Experiment, learn different parameters on synths and plugins and learn what they do and how they affect the sound, that will help you analyzing how a certain sound is made.
Anyway, just listening and analyzing even though you still don't know everything can trigger your creativity and widen your ideas.

Back