Acapella to track tips

R

rudie

Hi guys, i've got a Q, what techniques do you use to sync or match an acapella to a beat youv'e written? I've been cutting and pasteing bits and peices in protools but can't quite get it to sound "tight" or i end up with lots of volume variances.

I have just got the pitch'n'time plug in which is good for matching drum loops that are not quite at the same tempo, but have been unsucessful when using acapellas with it ...

any advice would much appreciated.

Yeah, it can be tough that mate. You could try chopping it up into small phrases or words even. Do you know or have a rough idea of the original tempo?

You should be able to get really close just by adding some beats, but you might still find it doesnt fit. In which case, I would chop it up in to different parts. The silent parts are unneeded anyways.

There is a fantastice piece of software available called Melodyne. This is ideal for vocal manipulation. It's practically impossible to go into that program here though in any depth and its expensive but also a fantastic tool.

use a little program like Analog X Tap Tempo to find out what the tempo of the song is. produce your track at that tempo.

i search the net and found bpm for some of the songs i used.

You do have a bit of a tough tast=k in front of you. You should of found a basic tempo of the acapella and then built a beat with that tempo. It would of made things a lot easier.

Was this acapella vocals from an existing song with music? listen to the original and try to figure out the tempo that way.

Trying to find a BPM from an acapella can be nerve racking because you may miss what beat the lyrics start on.

dood i JUST posted on this like two days ago. its really easy. you just need a tap tempo app, and like, soundforge or somethin. if you search you can find that post, the thread had a very similar title to this one. i dont wanna explain it again, while its prolly still on the first page.

peace.

http://w1.171.telia.com/~u17106176/bpmcounter2004_setup.exe

This will become your best friend if you are a software sampling producer. Download this and open it up. Start playing the sample that you want. In BPM Counter, just tap the space bar on each down beat of the sample. This will give you the exact BPM of the sample. Then when you are ready to create your beat. Change the tempo in your seq to the BPM of the sample. Then, everything will fall into synch. Merry X-mas. :)

Hey thanks for the great tips guys, yeah i found out the tempo and wow! it's heaps easier.

Kia Ora!

Back