90's boom bap beats

Wolf-i Beats

Anyone have an idea on how to make gritty sounding beats, if so could you give me tips on what I can do to acheive it? Thanks

I'm trying to achieve that sound in Fruity Loops but it's a bit hard, all I do is try to concentrate on using drum breaks instead of programming my own drums and using samples that sound like they're from that era. I also EQ my beats a bit to try to get that raw feeling but I still haven't yet mastered the technique, I'm trying to turn my FL into an ASR 10 or MPC 2000XL lol

Lol I use FL to, I want to put out a boom bap beat tape thats why I want help, I made boom bap beats but I want to take it further such as having the same or close sound of grittyness

The only true way to get that gritty analog sound is from analog gear. I know it's not what you wanted to hear but I was enlightened to this the first time I was able to use a MPC2000xl & a SP1200. I took a drum break I chopped up in both FL Studio & Recycle and chopped them in those machines and I was in awe. The SP1200 gives you true 12bit sound and it's NASTY ! (in a good way of course) & the MPC gives you a slightly cleaner, but still dirty sound. Izotope & Waves makes plug-ins that come really close to emulating those sounds, but they'll never color the sounds the way the machines do because it's all digital. Also, remember that drum breaks from that era were usually from an era before then so when you're digging for breaks, check tracks from the 60s-90s. Youtube Bernard Purdie - Black Purd's Theme .. Sick drum break for you.

Back