Your music creation process?

efd753

Hi im new here. I been making beats for 3 years. Well im been off and on never got into it hard core. anyway. I make beats not songs i would like to know how you go about making your songs. include software or hardware plz. Here is mine for my tracks.

mostly i start out with drums. hip hop or rege. if rege then i know what i need to do. I choose a rege bass pattern oor try to make a new one. then i go into the high notes.(i dont know if they have a name)it usually end up witht the same pattern as the bass with a little variation. and that is.

if hip hop then im usually lost.

so let me hear your process to see if i can learn something new.

Is rege suppose to be reggae lol . . .

As for my process my weapon of choice is sampling. I usually start by looking around and digging thru super old songs until I find something I like. Then I open the track i'm gonna sample from in a "Goldwave" a wave editor and then I take what parts i'm goin to sample. Then I load'em up in FL, play with them and manipulate and chop them up. Then once I have the basic melody I start with the drums and snares. And then everything just fills in after.

I usually play with the samples for alittle bit flipping them all diffrent ways until I find the basis of how they y will be used in the track.

As for hardware I have a Korg Electribe RMKII and an old Casio Keyboard. There maily used as midi controllers for my software.

As for software (Drumroll Please) Tha Fruit ! I use Fruity Loops 5 to make all my beats.

I've been at it for a month now and i'm pretty nice with my small setup.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/heavyrotationpro.htm
Heres a link if you would like to hear what I have.

Last edited:
nice work how u get he drum to hit hard in fl. i too use fl well recently before i was using sonar man sonar is hard. tracks in the link in my sig the 1st one is with FL i made a month ago. the other 1 is on a discontinued software called Stomp:MySounStudio. and yeah rege is reggea i wrote it in spanish.

Last edited:
Drums hitting hard - Play with them, layer them, compress, EQ. It's all manipulation.

Don't get discouraged just keep at it. My stuff sucked the for about the first week I started which was actually at the end of dec. and begin of this month.

Then I just got on the grind, buckled down, and just stuck to everything doing as much as I could and reading and practicing and toying around with everything.

FL can make some sick stuff it's all up to "you" and not the program.

Thanks for checking my stuff out.

Yup . . .

Right before I went and bought everything I just did tons of research on everything I was going to get and wanted to do with it.

I'm only 17, I DJ so I'm not knew to messing around with music but I never made beats before this month.

I just get on my grind and workhard and everyday I learn something and get better. ANd when I say on my grind I mean it. I'll be in my basement for hours even whole days. I'm very dedicated and thats why I feel my skills are improving rather quickly.

Last edited:
Yea but as long as your having fun while doing it thats what counts. Everyone doesn't always have to be in it for the money.

Of course making some cash off something you love doing is good to but I don't sit down and be like i'm gonna make this so I can make "X amount" of money. Or be like I gotta get better so I can start making money faster.

And I'm only 17 so I still got plenty of time to improve and step my game up alot more but I am proud of myself so far for improving so fast in a short period of time.

Passion and dedication, sometimes I can't wait to get home so I can hop on and bang something out.

And if someone is on the pc I tend to get mad lol cause I want to get on so bad.

Lay da drums
lay da bassline
lay da synths
fade it/ effects
export to cubase
record track.........lol i call dat da J'mazin success plan

First, check my site for my gear list & song track
(http://www.peakpeak.com/~synthman/index.html) - that's a lotta gear! ANyhoo, I also did tons of research before buying my 1st synth the Korg Poly-800 - that's how I learned synthesis which I applied to all my keyboards - all the sounds on the P-800 and my Jupiter 6's (that's right, plural!)I programmed - all original! As for the creative progress, since I'm self-taught, sometimes I jsut twiddle with keys & knobs, sometimes I hear original music in my head or get inspired by listening to other people's music, or I just go for it. The Yamaha RM1X was the most challanging instrument because it has SO MANY choices of tracks & sounds but I did get a "shopping agreement" with my demos & things are looking very good for my music. One more thing, sometimes I don't play for month(s), which helps new thoughts. If all else fails - get baked ;-)

I like the rifts in beats, the main melody that's going to keep the listeners. Alcohol neat in a glass works best to come up with melodies and rifts to start my beats. Then I use drum kits I usually create to get the right snares for what's going on in the track. That then leads me to the kick and if the beat even needs a hi hat. Peace!

Another thing is that I have a Boss SP-202 Sampler - I find all kinds of neat things 2 use in my music. Also I have a Yamaha RM1-X - its a great but difficult machine for the creative process; at fist I went thru the preset styles then imported styles (sequences) I liked into the user patterns. Creating drumtrax is a pain in the ass, since there are SO MANY of them but after a while I've created about 90 mins. worth of songs & I got a shopping agreement & some very interested agents out of it....

Back