From your head to the computer

A lot of times I'll have a beat all in my head, like I'll have a little string melody and drums and shyt and it sounds perfect. But then, in the process of getting the music in my head onto the computer the shyt changes. Like I'll get distracted by a new idea and just take it in a totally different direction than I planned. Just wonderin' what yall thought of this. Do you try to perfectly recapture what's in your head? Or do you just run with it? Personally I always try to stay true to what I'm hearing in my brain.

i usually have something to start with, then i run with it when i'm layin it down. But there has been times when i've had one planned out in my head and then lay it down. What normally happens, is i'm banging/tappin on a table or something (at work, school or whatever) and come up with a drum sequence, then later lay down the rest, it really just depends.

thats why when i have a melody, i use my recorder on my phone and record me saying it, then when i get home just put it to work.

roach said:
thats why when i have a melody, i use my recorder on my phone and record me saying it, then when i get home just put it to work.
Haha I've thought about doing this. It really helps tho? No shiyt...

Thats a major part of becoming a good producer. Once you get that down you accomplished plenty as far as making beats. You just have to work at it, kinda like if you do a drum beat and you go diggin for that "right" kick or clap, you have to do that with each sound you hear in your head, or at least try to get as close as possible to it. And BTW it was times I hummed a melody in my phone too...dat **** works, be in math class humming in da phone.

yeah my main ambition is to produce what I hear in my head, right now I just sample and go from there, but would love to get close to my head ideas lol

I often get distracted from the original idea, but I let the music take me for a ride. Sometimes the new ideas are better than the original ideas.

Probably the biggest problem I have is that I'll have a crystal-clear idea of a chorus riff, but absolutely no idea about the verses. Or sometimes the opposite happens, where I know the verse perfectly, but my mind goes totally blank on the chorus. Or other times it's the percussion that I draw blanks on. It's just part of the process for me.

Unless I run out of patience, I can sometimes improve upon the song later on in the week or month. Unfortunately, however, I often run out of patience with a song after already working on it for 6 hours or whatnot.

When I have an idea in my head I try to get it down as quickly as possible. If I'm not at my computer I'll come up with a sentence or something that goes along with the rhythm and melody and keep that running through my head. Works most of the time for me.

Back