Road to Perdition (Thomas Newman)
North by Northwest (Bernard Hermann)
Schindler's List (John Williams)
Catch Me If You Can (John Williams)
Finding Nemo (Thomas Newman)
The Terminal (John Williams)
Jaws (John Williams)

don't forget:
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon (Tan Dun)
Gladiator (Lisa Gerrard and Hans Zimmer)
The Hours (Philip Glass)

god i luv film music.

the best score of 2005 is a tie between John Williams' "Munich" and Harry Gregson-Williams' very overlooked "Kingdom of Heaven"

Boiler Room - The Angel (great DJ soundtrack, especially the scratching over DJ Premier in Deep Concentration)

The Lord of the Rings - Johann DiMeij (it's not really a soundtrack, but a musicaly suite, they should have actually incorporated it into the latest movies)

Any Danny Elfman work.

Kill Bill 1&2 - The RZA

Lemony Snicket - Thomas Newman
American Beauty - Thomas Newman
Magnolia - Jon Brion
Not a movie, but theme music 6ft Under - Thomas Newman

I think both of those guys do very cool things with melodies and chord progressions.

Cant think of many at the moment, but i def really like is

Last Samurai - Hans Zimmer
he is truly a musical genius. such beautiful music i cant even describe.
if not for the score i dont even think the movie would be that touching.

Glory
Braveheart
God of War (PS2)
Meet Joe Black
War of the Worlds
Lord of the Rings (Trilogy)

avalon avalon AVALON ! a japanese sci fi film made in the czech republic I think ...

the score is just AMAZING, had to buy it, beautiful work ... highly recommended !

MusickMan said:
avalon avalon AVALON ! a japanese sci fi film made in the czech republic I think ...

the score is just AMAZING, had to buy it, beautiful work ... highly recommended !

It was filmed in Poland, not the CZ Rep., with a Polish/Japanese crew and Polish actors.

Anyway, my favorites:

Jurassic Park
The Ghost and the Darkness
Commando
Speed 2: Cruise Control

Yes, I know what you're thinking, but I really do like the scores for these movies. Are they masterpieces or examples of extreme talent? Not exactly, but they're fun, and I like them. :)

I find Jan Hammer's score(s) for the "Miami Vice" TV series to be some of my favorite music EVER. I have his 2-disc set and he's one of (if not THE main) the reasons/inspirations that I wanted to pursue electronic music production. :cool:

Last edited:
moshin said:
I really liked

"The Thin Red Line" Hans Zimmer

That's a good movie and a great score...

I love Charles Ive's "the unanswered question" near the end when they're observing the carnage... the trumpet speaks so much amidst the atmosphere of the strings and the visual footage...

I love the Braveheart score and i'm really enjoying The DaVini Code score at the moment as well.

I also like The Last Samurai.

Check out films scored by these two guys off the top of my head:

Yann Tiersen (Amelie, Goodbye Lenin)
Goran Bregovic (Time of the Gypsies, Arizona Dream, Queen Margot)

These are contemporary, avant-garde composers respected in Europe. Couldn't recommend them more.

Also: Vangelis, Krzesimir Debski, and if i remember well - Thomas Bangalter (one of the guys from Daft Punk), who did a good job on "Irreversible" with monica bellucci.

Schindler's List (John Williams)
Lemony Snicket (Thomas Newman)

basically anything by these two and I'm a happy man

Yea i agree!
Last Samurai is my favorite!
Hannibal
Valiant
Legends of the Fall
Braveheart
Hulk

It goes on!

Not just one...

- Solaris (Cliff Martinez)
- Koyaanisqatsi (Philip Glass)
- The Nightmare Before Christmas (Danny Elfman)
- some parts of Ravenous (Damon Albarn & Miachael Nyman)
- Terminator (Brad Fiedel)
- [...]

Mister Softy said:
Not just one...

- Solaris (Cliff Martinez)
- [...]

I simple loved that one. The whole soundtrack is a peaceful quiet sine sounds melody. Pretty similar to Depeche Mode's "waiting for the night"

I have always been a John Williams fan. I think the score in Revenge of the Sith is the best out of all the movies... Some really fantastic, epic songs, full of emotion.

On the other side of the spectrum, the music in Pi, and Traffic was great.

Back