your favorite key and scale???

me, i seem to be stuck in C - Locrian scale everytime i try to compose

i wish i wouldve studied music theory earlier in my life, cuz now my brain is almost programmed to use this scale, i cant get out of it!!!

80% of my tracks will be in this scale.
i think thats when it can get repetitive.

I completely understand. Almost everything I do will end up in C Minor, unless I force myself into a key before I start.

teddy rockspin said:
I completely understand. Almost everything I do will end up in C Minor, unless I force myself into a key before I start.

yea exactly, sometimes i really force myself to not fall in the same key and scale again, but then it seems like it doesnt sound good to my ears, until the melody is finally laid down

i think alot of people get drawn to the same keys over and over, i think it depends on the sorts of sounds you like as well, and the tempos you work at.

if you think of acoustic guitar how many songs have been written with just the simple open chords, either in the key of c, e, or g.

i seem to be stuck in C - Locrian scale
:bigeyes: How'd you get stuck in lochrian?? That's one crazy sounding scale. I probably use most modes exept lochrian, can't remember the last time I used that.

Not sure what my favourite scale is, it all depends what mood your trying to create. I can safely say that any major scale would be my least favourite. I'd always use a lydian or a mixolydian rather that major.

most of the time i'll start in C major. I usually come up with some melody lines early so before I have much done i transpose it to fit my range and keep working in the new key.

matt42 said:
:bigeyes: How'd you get stuck in lochrian?? That's one crazy sounding scale. I probably use most modes exept lochrian, can't remember the last time I used that.

Not sure what my favourite scale is, it all depends what mood your trying to create. I can safely say that any major scale would be my least favourite. I'd always use a lydian or a mixolydian rather that major.

hahaha, i dunno, at first when i started i wanted to go for a "dark" sound. so i started messing with some scales and i found a home with the locrian scale to express my strongest emotions/feelings. whatever melody i composed in locrian always came out sounding dark. but now its been 5 years and i can't get out of it lol! i've been cursed

most of the time, gurls wont dig the tracks i compose and relate to, they are almost too sad/angry/mysterious

but for more mainstream/happy sounding tracks most of the time ill use a major.

but man i need to explore more, but like i said i seem stuck and programmed to use those goddamn notes!

for dark sounds, use D. Happy sounds, use E.
Sorry, but D and E major will both sound happy, but D and E lochrian (PrinceOfDarkness's fav) will both sound dark. So which D and E scales do you mean?

PrinceOfDarkness said:
me, i seem to be stuck in C - Locrian scale everytime i try to compose

i wish i wouldve studied music theory earlier in my life, cuz now my brain is almost programmed to use this scale, i cant get out of it!!!

80% of my tracks will be in this scale.
i think thats when it can get repetitive.

you think thats bad?! i believe 98-99% of my tunes happen to be in C MINOR (occasionally A minor) and I rarely throw in accidentals

but who cares, if it works for me :) its my "sound" i guess

when u say you stay in the key of c does that mean you start with c scales and then add the iv and v chords? or do u just stay with in c scales and not go outside of c-d-g-b ???

Something funky like EbMaj. Great thing with jazz, is I never even think about key sigs.... Haha, lazy ass cats.

Dorian seems always to be on my right hand...

Casket13Productions said:

you think thats bad?! i believe 98-99% of my tunes happen to be in C MINOR (occasionally A minor) and I rarely throw in accidentals

but who cares, if it works for me :) its my "sound" i guess

yea it is bad, because the scale is not only what defines your sound but more how you compose. and if all of your compositions are in the same key, in the same scale, then there is no personal evolution or no variation you know? and your tracks can get repetitive... i mean i really have to force myself to focus on not falling back into the same scale, thats when its bad...

yeah i feel ya homie.... I dunno about evolution cuz tha keyboard has limits but variation definatly

but some groups just have their own sound and i think thats cool too, i mean look at linkin park, and popa roach you always know when tha songs by them :P

Casket13Productions said:
yeah i feel ya homie.... I dunno about evolution cuz tha keyboard has limits but variation definatly

but some groups just have their own sound and i think thats cool too, i mean look at linkin park, and popa roach you always know when tha songs by them :P

yea, in my case i just over composed in that key/scale, so every new track i do sounds too similar...
anyways, its all mental discipline...
i'll program my mind to never produce in that scale, EVER!! hAH!

I can honestly say that I have absolutely never even thought about a songs key when I write.

I will start in any place on the keyboard that my hand may fall and take it from there wherever my creativity takes me.

I can say, though, that on guitar I will tend to write in keys that I can incorporate more "open strings", because they physically sound better in my opinion... and even then, it is not about the key the song is in but rather about the chords I can use which may add up to making a song in a variety of keys.

Back