Young Chop Type Hi Hats...HELP?

kitaro

Hey Im New To this Forum, And I Need Some Help On How To Get My Hi Hats To Sound Like Young Chop. I Know How To Make Hi Hats Rolls, But I Just Want To Know How He makes The Roll So Slow And Smoothly ( If You Know What Im Talking About?) In Almost All His Beats he has these Tyoe Of Snare/Hi Hats Rolls that just Roll Smooth And Slow But Its Still Fast At The Same Time. My Hi Hats Just Sounds Fast. Its Really Hard To Explain It. Im Not Talking bout 1/3 notes. You Can Also Check Out "Sean Bentley" Beats, he Does the same thing. PLease Help If you Can. Thanks. Btw Im using Fl Studio 11.

Last edited:
maybe some specific songs to look/listen at youtube would help because I'm not going on a fishing trip hoping I find what you are talking about......

use a poormans link, e.g. youtube/watch?v=video-link and give me the name and artist/version so that I know I have found what you want me to listen to.....

and 1/3 is actually triplet-crotchets/triplet-quarters, you probably mean triplet-quavers/triplet-eighths or even triplet-semi-quavers/triplet-sixteenths

received this via pm

I want my Hi Hats To Roll Like These Beats, Its Like fast But Slow And Smooth. And same things for Snare Like last Beat I Shared. Thanks.

I'll look at this later today my time (after 5pm local time Sydney (about 5 hours from now))

Hey man, to get it fast and slow, it depend on your track BPM. Say for example if your track is set to 73 BPM, your hi hat would be 1/64 put it close to each other and you will it to roll fast, but since the BPM is only 73 it still slow. Try it! ;) Then change the hi hats back to 1/32, 1/16T etc.

So I've listened to all 4 tracks and they are using triplet 16ths and triplet 32nds

i.e.
1-----e-----&-----u-----2-----e-----&-----u-----

X
-----X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-----X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-X-

X
-----XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxX-----XxXxXxXxXxXxXxXxXx

snare rolls are done similarly but in shorter bursts

It sounds to me like you want your hi-hats to cut themselves. The reason your rolls don't sound smooth is most likely because every note triggers the entire hi hat sample. So say you have a hi-hat roll of 16th notes, if your sample cuts itself then each sample will only play for exactly a 16th note, instead of playing the entire sample for every note.

To do this in FL studio:
Click on your hi-hat in the step-sequencer and open up the channel settings
Click the MISC tab
Click the "Cut Itself" button

Your rolls should sound much smoother since you'll be able to clearly hear every hit.

Back