Are You Special??

Lehoo

How many of you honestly think that you have something special to offer to the industry? I'm talking basically about originality - a lot of ppl here say they have an interesting style, approach and all that. But who here seriously, deep down believes that they have something unique and original to give to the world, music-wise? I'll be honest, I often think that I do (if I'm excited about some new track I made, for instance) but when I sober up, I generally don't think that my stuff stands out. Maybe if I keep working on it and really do the kind of music that I want to hear as opposed to subconsciously catering to what I believe others would want, I could start taking bigger steps towards originality. What about you?

Some times i think that

i sometimes think that im special cause When it come to creating music i be me and not what everyone else want me to be i basically learn fom the ones who fully mimic others style usaully those are the ones who dont make it or be respected in the rap industry as far as being original i basically try to do use a certain sound no one else used or just plain out raped like how people sample old records with classic singers on them i stay away fom that most of the time cause everybody and their daddy are sampling old records with someone singing over the beat to me it gets boring to see these guys over the internet doing that cause they think cause the famous people who did it first or in a unique way they can do it so i try new things out like new sounds outside hip hop and assembling them together to make a hip hop beat or just having my own style that is partly borrowing a bunch of favorite producers style and mixing it with mostly my style which represents me

Last edited:
well, i believe so, but ya'll check my tracks and let me know what ya'll think cause, ever since i was making beats...bout a year ago, cats always thought i was 'that dude' when i came to tracks...lol

the issue is more about being good at making beats and producing, then it is originality. not to say being original isn't important, but when it comes down to it, how original can you be at this point.
I have seen plenty of people claim originality by goin way left of the norm, but the problem is they go too far, and they lose people. and there method is not generally wanting to be so left with it, as much as it is a fact that in their attempts to be more in line with the norm, they find out, it isnt as easy as it looks.This leaves the average insecure person making claims that they're trying to be different as opposed to doing what everybody else is doing. or you also got the pride factor, where a people learning to use their equipment are so happy to bang something out, that in their minds, it's the shhit no matter what. at least until they improve over time and look back, thinking oh shhit, did i suck! take that how you want, but i've seen it often enuff to know. and in regards to being original, when you add up how many people use that approach to claim countering the norm, it goes right back to there being no clear way to be original in Rap music, except not to do it.

ps. i'm not saying that there arent some exceptions, but on the level we're talking from, i guarantee i'm right even if the average dude wouldnt admit it.

me i know i can make beats

i already know i can make beats what i dont know right now is how to make music cause alot of cats out here say they can produce and when it comes down to it they just know how to make beat and i'll admit right now that i just know how to make beats but through experience and God i'll make music and be one of the best at it plus i humble myself and let other people hear my material cause i dont want to be that dude you cant tell anything to and his beats be garbage naw i seen where i came from i know how weak my stuf was in the beginning i moved up a notch or 2 that only took me a 2 months to move when it would take alot of people 3 1/2 months i think it was God who helped me with this like when i didnt have something to do beats on ,way before i thought about doing beats then moving to music i had beats in my head .for some reason they always been in my head its wierd but right now i dont know if God wants me to do this but while im in it i will swing different from the crowd for example look at pharell

^ see this ....... ? thats a period. god only helps people who use proper punctuation.

I doubt there is anyone special on this site...

unless by special you mean retarded. If thats what you mean, there are a lot.

Honestly though, its getting to the point where everybody can make beats. a lot of cats dont deserve to be here (including myself.)

on the real though, the special cats are out there actually doing things with their music, not talking about it on forums. thats how it always is. in this game, being special is more about getting the right connections and being able to follow through than about pure musical originality.

Last edited by a moderator:
mac11989 said:
i already know i can make beats what i dont know right now is how to make music cause alot of cats out here say they can produce and when it comes down to it they just know how to make beat and i'll admit right now that i just know how to make beats but through experience and God i'll make music and be one of the best at it plus i humble myself and let other people hear my material cause i dont want to be that dude you cant tell anything to and his beats be garbage naw i seen where i came from i know how weak my stuf was in the beginning i moved up a notch or 2 that only took me a 2 months to move when it would take alot of people 3 1/2 months i think it was God who helped me with this like when i didnt have something to do beats on ,way before i thought about doing beats then moving to music i had beats in my head .for some reason they always been in my head its wierd but right now i dont know if God wants me to do this but while im in it i will swing different from the crowd for example look at pharell

keep doing your thing homie...no matter what the ppl say...
A. Hamilton-

I honestly think I do. But that's not a longshot, and that's not being cocky. It's actually a problem.

I recognize that in the industry, the job is like any other job. Service to others. If my job is to be the producer FOR the artist, then I can't really deviate from what the artist needs from me. I can't throw in the dirty snare I love using, or that click sound that I personally find would fit the track much better; instead I have to use the 808 snare that I was told would fit the track better.

I was recently asked to produce a laid-back, Lupe Fiasco-KickPush type of beat. I tried. While I got the laid-back VIBE, it ended up sounding like something Timbaland would do (which is basically how my style is oriented.) Now if you ask me, that's a big problem. Especially if I want to be a successful producer for many artists.

In the game right now, being 'special' isnt that important. what people are really looking for are effort, drive, hustle, etc. Its a lot of unoriginal producers making money just by pushing hard and getting the business end of things straight.

This Guy !!!!!!!!!!!!

vursatyl0601 said:
^ see this ....... ? thats a period. god only helps people who use proper punctuation.

Honestly though, its getting to the point where everybody can make beats. a lot of cats dont deserve to be here (including myself.)

on the real though, the special cats are out there actually doing things with their music, not talking about it on forums. thats how it always is. in this game, being special is more about getting the right connections and being able to follow through than about pure musical originality.
this guy do you know anything, everybody aint the same ,common sense would of told you that and i dont have to use proper punctuation cause im not writing a english essay for school and yo who's the fake jay z over your beat tell him to get off jays nuts and find his own style cause i know a nigga that will eat him up and this dude is from my home state plus the nigga im talking about is really in the street he aint faking it but other than that your beats are hot see this ? no period

JustJono said:
I honestly think I do. But that's not a longshot, and that's not being cocky. It's actually a problem.

I recognize that in the industry, the job is like any other job. Service to others. If my job is to be the producer FOR the artist, then I can't really deviate from what the artist needs from me. I can't throw in the dirty snare I love using, or that click sound that I personally find would fit the track much better; instead I have to use the 808 snare that I was told would fit the track better.

I was recently asked to produce a laid-back, Lupe Fiasco-KickPush type of beat. I tried. While I got the laid-back VIBE, it ended up sounding like something Timbaland would do (which is basically how my style is oriented.) Now if you ask me, that's a big problem. Especially if I want to be a successful producer for many artists.

I can relate totally - that's the way I was when I was making beats for ppl. Now I'm more into other types of music so this is less of a problem.

PPL, like I said, I was talking about originality. There are some nice responses but some of you are saying that originality is not important in the business etc. I disagree ...but anyways, assuming that originality is something we generally strive for, I was asking you guys to just think of your stuff objectively and assert whether you consider yourself special in any way or a generic producer churning out crowd-pleasing material. I'm not saying that going with the norm is easy - it is a historical fact, however, that the musicians that engrain themselves in our memory are usually the ones who did not conform to whatever was the norm in their time.

vursatyl0601 said:

ur right, i am special. and my beats ARE retarded!!! ive always been in front of this rap ish... i did the loops, chipmunk beats, chops, real music, etc b4 they became popular. ive got beats thats been in my library for DECADES, thats been ignored, until a similar beat is heard on the radio. then im bitin that radio producer's style. ive had someone say to me "usually when someone says they are different, their beats are wack!" ive had to win a few beat battles, and let others watch my beatmakin process to understand im at another level. sometimes, to be different, u need different equipment. i know an MPC and FL6 created trk 90% of the time. especially when usin samples. no one takes the time to do anything differently. so, HELL YEA, i am special. and my beats ARE retarded!!!

da relic

^Its da relic from ill huh?
im colossus... i know i recognized the name.

mac11989 said:
this guy do you know anything, everybody aint the same ,common sense would of told you that and i dont have to use proper punctuation cause im not writing a english essay for school and yo who's the fake jay z over your beat tell him to get off jays nuts and find his own style cause i know a nigga that will eat him up and this dude is from my home state plus the nigga im talking about is really in the street he aint faking it but other than that your beats are hot see this ? no period

You KNOW a person who will eat him up?
Money is money. He could sound like vanilla ice and id still sell him beats.

Throw up some beats though, i want to hear some. you talk a lot of ****. Maybe some tracks youve done with this mcee wholl 'eat him up.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice replies. Especially the retarded one by skildarelic. I"m listenin to ur stuff right now, and ur right they are retarded, in a sick,original way.

I also too feel that I'm special and sick in the head, literally. Lol, I guess it's the ego that makes us feel the center of the universe and special.

If you check my soundclick site, u will honestly see that I have a weird and "special" style.

To see ones originality, I think it's best to listen to their older beats, the ones that they did when they started.

I checked skildarelic's beats and Hitz space, they're pretty original sounding.

Nnyways, keep up the "specialty" flowing and make good ****.

vursatyl0601 said:
^Its da relic from ill huh?
im colossus... i know i recognized the name.

You KNOW a person who will eat him up?
Money is money. He could sound like vanilla ice and id still sell him beats.

Throw up some beats though, i want to hear some. you talk a lot of ****. Maybe some tracks youve done with this mcee wholl 'eat him up.'
yo homie i didnt say your beats was garbage i said home boy with the fake jay z flo was garbage and i didnt do no tracks with that mcee, my uncle and couisn are working with him, im just sitting back and learning from them and also i tried putting a beat up here but it takes forever for me cause im not exactly on dsl ,and homie is money all you care about ,dang i used to think like that until i started getting a little but now its just some thing to survive in this world and if i get to be a producer for a couple of big names i want the respect and to be known for originality and sure i'll take the money coming in but i wont be all crazy for it even being in the struggle dont make me crazy for money cause i had to find out as quick as you get it thats how quick it can be taken and think on that for a minute,and thats whats messing up the game now "money" everybody want it and they dont care how they get long as some in their pocket i want to make music that will make people feel they are not alone in the struggle not the popular music out today were it i'll shoot you or i'll **** your girl or whatever to me that music is just influencing a weak minded person to kill or fight someone for just saying a word now i listen to the music dont get me wrong but it does nothing for me like little brother with their truthfull music about everyday things and it seems all or most of the real niggas get slept on like pete rock i didnt know who he was till i surfed the net cause down south they dont play records with originaters like him all you hear is what what i'll beat yo a** and thats not real hip hop its more like pop

madmattic said:
Very nice replies. Especially the retarded one by skildarelic. I"m listenin to ur stuff right now, and ur right they are retarded, in a sick,original way.

I also too feel that I'm special and sick in the head, literally. Lol, I guess it's the ego that makes us feel the center of the universe and special.

If you check my soundclick site, u will honestly see that I have a weird and "special" style.

To see ones originality, I think it's best to listen to their older beats, the ones that they did when they started.

I checked skildarelic's beats and Hitz space, they're pretty original sounding.

Nnyways, keep up the "specialty" flowing and make good ****.

"THAT CLUB ****" is really hot. only thing is it should be a a little slower.

Back