wtf?

masterlamb

I can't seem to make happy sounding beats, everytime i try to make a beat that sounds relaxing/happy it always turns out sounding dark (creepy sounding), too gangsta, or sad.... wtf? I also can't seem to make trap beats, they always come out sounding like g funk with southern style drums. any tips?

so without some example audio I am not able to do much more than guess (which is what holland did too), but it just may be that you are not using the right base material to construct your tunes with; i.e. using the major scale may not be enough on its own, as you may be using the parts of the scale that lead to a darker, eerier kind of music.

Stick to three chords, I, IV and V (C, F and G in C major), and use only notes that are relevant to each of those chords for your melodies

report back with your results

It's funny, I run into that same exact problem ALL the time! For whatever reason, I naturally dive right into darker / more somber melodies when I'm just messing around and trying to create a decent ear-pleaser.

I find it frustrating at times because I usually want to create a happy beat, but it ends up completely different. (I usually like how it sounds and just keep it).

Chords definitely have a lot to do with it, but I think it goes beyond that to the actual synths you're using and the way you chop the track up. I think the overall energy dictates the mood more than anything.

Stick with happy & uplifting Keys -

D major, D# Major, E Major, G Major, G# Major, F# Major

MAKE SURE YOU STAY IN THE ****ING KEY FOR EVERYTHING. That includes your Kick, Bass, Melody, Drop etc etc...

A good tip for a happy bass, Combine Root and 5th note.

Something to remember, Keep shit simple until you get the hang of it, No one starts making hits, Listen to Zedd's, Calvin Harris, Nicky romero's, hardwell's first productions they all sound like shit but with time you learn.

Few examples -

E Major

G# Major

D Major
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcrbM1l_BoI

D# Major
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgGjUjQRAxw

How Keys works, WWHWWWH (W = Whole step, H = Half Step) FOLLOW THIS PATERN.

Last edited:
Also the sound it self is important. Try some bright sounding samples/instruments. Maybe you have some example that is 'happy' beat in your understanding? That might help.

Stick with happy & uplifting Keys -

D major, D# Major, E Major, G Major, G# Major, F# Major

I fail to understand how the indicated keys can be more happy than any of the other major scales/keys: by the basic extension of the idea that a major key/scale is happy, all major scales/keys are happy

D# major is actually Eb major (9 sharps vs 3 flats - I know which one I would prefer to work in)
G# major is actually Ab major (8 sharps vs 4 flats - I know which one I would prefer to work in)

The true key to making happy music is to avoid overusing or emphasising the melancholy intervals in your melody (examples are given in C major) -

m6 - E / C | C \ E | A / F | F \ A | B / G | G \ B ||
m3 - D / F | F \ D | E / G | G \ E | A / C | C \ A | B / D | D \ B ||
m7 - C / C | C \ D | E / D | D \ E | G / F | F \ G | A / G | G \ A | B / A | A \ B ||

A good tip for a happy bass, Combine Root and 5th note.

No disagreement here - we have discussed just tis in another thread on advanced bass line theory in the last day or so

Back