wow I didn't know

that drums were such an issue.From reading post below its become quite clear theres more to it than I thought.
same with quantize and snap I never understood how thost functions worked I knew what they were for just didn't do anything helpfull when applied to my shyt.Its supposed to fix timing issues but always made it worse,Im not having to much trouble with making drums by layering them but it's frustrating sometimes cause I don't have any "hip hop" kits from banging beats or where ever so I have no choice but to layer and improvise...in in the process found that layering claps and tweaking them makes some great results.anyway I forgot the reason for this post so if you can figure it out respond,lol...

187 said:
...Im not having to much trouble with making drums by layering them but it's frustrating sometimes cause I don't have any "hip hop" kits from banging beats or where ever so I have no choice but to layer and improvise...in in the process found that layering claps and tweaking them makes some great results
Those "hip hop" kits you speak of were created the same way you're creating them; taking from other songs, layering and compressing them until they sound like hip hop.

A purist would look down on someone that used drums from one hip hop song to make another.

Entee said:
what do u mean by layer them? as in mix two drum sounds?
...or more.

Try 2 with different characteristics. For instance, one snare with a high crack to it, with another with a little more bottom. The result will be a very aggressive, full snare.

Same idea with the kick. Try one boomy, and one more defined.

You can even do it with a hi hat. Try one sparkling hi hat and one dirty one.

And these are just examples. Just imagine how you want the hit to sound and collect those characteristics in 2 or more hits. This is why sampled drums sound so much more aggressive than live drums. It's not always the most realistic sound, but that's not always the idea.

Bezo said:
Those "hip hop" kits you speak of were created the same way you're creating them; taking from other songs, layering and compressing them until they sound like hip hop.

A purist would look down on someone that used drums from one hip hop song to make another.

I was just about to say the same thing! :D

187, There are no 'hiphop' drums; they were taken, spliced, mixed, beaten down, washed off and ... there you have it!

And don't worry about snapping and what not if you do not need to use those functions. Use whatever it is that is working for you.

Bezo said:
...or more.

Try 2 with different characteristics. For instance, one snare with a high crack to it, with another with a little more bottom. The result will be a very aggressive, full snare.

Same idea with the kick. Try one boomy, and one more defined.

You can even do it with a hi hat. Try one sparkling hi hat and one dirty one.

And these are just examples. Just imagine how you want the hit to sound and collect those characteristics in 2 or more hits. This is why sampled drums sound so much more aggressive than live drums. It's not always the most realistic sound, but that's not always the idea.
i understand that, but how is it dun?
can i just mix paste in cool edit?
coz most of the drums iam hearing dont even sound like they been layered. is there a special way of doing this?

lol,If I had the patience to actually take them in a wave editor and layer them I would make my wn personal kits and various others and sell them on the web like those "other" companies and make a killing!...but I don't so to answer your question at what I do is layer them using a drum machine by say placing your snare on 5 and 13 and then placing another snare on 5 and 13 as well and blending the two and tweaking each to get the effect Im looking for,Try it 4 your self you'll get better results than any kit you can buy cause YOU made them,I just wish I had the patience to do this in a wave editor and make many rather than doing them as I go.

ohh ok
i can do that
i actualy making my own sounds
coz then i can say i produced it from scratch.

Native Instrumet's Battery, is a great software for layering, and manipulating each sound layer....I personnally love it.

Ixmatii

Back