Workflow: How do you normal start your tracks?

DamianC

I'm curious as to how everyone usually starts their workflow.

I normally start with sound design but I also organize my sound design in a way where I create an entire atmosphere then I compose the music.

Sometimes my normal workflow isnt being nice. I usually start with kick claps and hats, or with an improvised line.

At these times, I turn off the metronome - start a new track - and press record, with my midi keyboard on.

Then I stand in the opposite side of the room and throw beanbags on the keys to see what randomly gets recorded.
I do this recording for 3 different instruments. 3 different channels.

The result is always the most horrific thing I've ever heard.

Then the very next song I attempt to make is always pleasant.

I usually open up a drummer that has loops and grooves, find a tempo that can portray the emotion I feel then look for chords that fit how I feel, After recording the chords, I will pick a melody, then change the drum pattern (make my own) Do alot of layering, and constantly listen to the track from the beginning and introduce changes throughout the music where I feel they should go.

I usually start by using a drum pattern and playing keys over it until I find a chord progression or melody I like over the pattern, or sometimes I already have the chord progression or melody then add drums to it and work on changes and adding layers from there.

either drums, keys or playing around with sounds, I have no specific workflow to be honest, I just build off of whatever feels right at the time

Usually I start with a drum patter and then start playing chords and keys. Once that is done then I just start adding more percussion, bass, strings whatever I thing feels right.

I start out with the song first. I have a structure, lyrics, chords and melody ready to go before I even get to the production side of things. I have two separate ways of going about workflow. If I am writing a song I go to the piano or record myself on a simple voice recorder. Producing the track is then a lot easier.

Play my chords first on the piano then I mute it. Create a bassline making sure the keys fit to my chords then a lead or some stabs, followed by drums then more sounds after the drums to see what sounds nice.

yeah reverbs on the master is a no-no , always make a master reverb buss and then send it to the master buss, but as for starting a new song, i usually use a drum loop then play with bass, it usually takes me 1 day to create my own drum kit for a new song.

Well what i usually do i listen to a great track that was mixed and mastered really well :)) and then i start and go onto my piano and play a piano riff i mean everything i do was completely self taught after that i find the perfect riff that i want and just layer my riff with bass and some pads to fill it out after that i find the perfect kick and snare hi hats. loops everything i think that will be perfect for making a song great and i just go from there. pretty easy on my part i think is worked so far :)

I start out by finding some type of sound and come up with a melody. I do my drums last.

I usually already know what kind of track I would like to do. But I always start with the melody or some "draft" kicks. Also note I always start with the mainpart. After kicks and melody are there I add the bass. Once I have these basics (Kick, Synth, Bass) I move onto the Break and add pads etc. Then I refine everything and make it sound like it should (eventually replace my "draft"-synth, "draft"-kicks etc etc). I then often copy the mainpart and paste it later in the track. I also add an intro and an outro. At the end I put all the "connectors" (white noise pads, uplifters and downsweeps etc) but also more percussions like hi hats, snare etc etc to give more life and make everything "connected"...

Back