Workflow: How do you normal start your tracks?

when i have no special idea, i just dig through my sound library and play around with synths or drums. if i like something, i stick to it and try to compose other elements around it. sometimes it works out, sometimes not... just depends on the mood i'm in

I normally wait till a idea pops in my head, and build on that, but if that doesn't work out i usually mess around on the piano or guitar

I'd have to say I've done variations of what everyone else has said so far. For the most part though, I'll start with a melody or chord progression that I've had in my head all day. I work a very mindless job so most of my day I'm writing music in my head. If I can't come up with anything I like, I'll start messing around with some sound design, then mess around on my controller. If that fails, then I'd try writing a beat.

It varies, I usually start with the drums and build off it. But with a beat I'm working on now I started with piano stuff and then did the drums.

Why would you put a reverb on the master. im really confused. only thing i put on a master is a compressor, limiter maybe an eq for mastering. am i doing it all wrong now haha hmmmmmm lol

I usually like to work in a lead synth. My synths are my babies :D. But generally I work the lead first, then add the percs from there. I've tried percs first, but without anything supporting them I feel like I always fall into the same drum patterns. I feel you can naturally be more diversive with your melodies than your drum patterns. Just 1 man's open-eye-own however...

I usually like to work in a lead synth. My synths are my babies :D. But generally I work the lead first, then add the percs from there. I've tried percs first, but without anything supporting them I feel like I always fall into the same drum patterns. I feel you can naturally be more diversive with your melodies than your drum patterns. Just 1 man's open-eye-own however...

Yeah, I'm still wondering why I've always been recommended to start with the beat. I feel like that limits me so much. My best results are from starting with the music first, and then the rhythm. Not saying that it's bad to start with the beat, it's gotta be working for people if it's common practice (if it even is common practice?), but I don't see it working for me.

I always start with the Melody. Add the drums that compliment the melody. Then start adding chants and FX and transitions.

Yeah, I'm still wondering why I've always been recommended to start with the beat. I feel like that limits me so much. My best results are from starting with the music first, and then the rhythm. Not saying that it's bad to start with the beat, it's gotta be working for people if it's common practice (if it even is common practice?), but I don't see it working for me.

Usually when I start with the beat, I don't end up with the same one that I started with. I'll usually have to change the kicks around to fit better with the bass to get the sound more locked in. But I agree that I do find myself falling into similar patterns

Usually when I start with the beat, I don't end up with the same one that I started with. I'll usually have to change the kicks around to fit better with the bass to get the sound more locked in. But I agree that I do find myself falling into similar patterns

After writing that, I actually tried starting a song with the beat and had a much different outcome than I normally do. Could be that I'm learning more about my DAW and I know how to navigate through it better. Who knows! But I now do kind of understand the reason for starting with the beat now. It still limited me a little bit with the music but I just rearranged the beat to follow what I wanted the music to do and it ended up working. I guess working from both ends for different purposes is a helpful approach and will help me to not get stuck in a rut.

Back