Wind Instrument and Vocal Simulation Techniques

music484858

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any methods they would be willing to share to get some realistic sounding techniques for the following....

1.) Say you have a sample of just a sustained flute note, is there anything you can do to this sample to give the impression of tonguing the note/fluttering the note?

2.) Say you have a sample of a sustained trumpet note, is there anything you can do to this sample to make it sound like a muted trumpet?

3.) Say you have a sample of a sustained vocal note, is there anything you can do to this sample to make it sound like the vocal has vibrato, I guess other than putting a vibrato vst to it.

Obviously having the samples of these requests would be the way to do it, but when answering just assume that I do not have access to them. I am also aware that these sounds are probably not going to be as accurate as the real thing, I am just looking for some creative ideas that's all.

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Thank You

1) nope

2) maybe add a low pass filter in conjunction with a hi pass filter (mutes affect at both extremes are in fact band pass filters)

3) even using a vibrato vst is going to be suspect as a vocal vibrato changes over time and needs to be constructed within the confines of a single breath

My flute is a bit too dirty to pick up right now but if I give a recorder or penny whistle a really good pip or roll what I get is a fast attack and a high pitch with a second pitch present depending upon the amount of air pressure applied, the hard "T" or "P" forms a kind of gated envelope that controls more than one pitch....however this same sound on a flute is slightly less implied and more audible as in you can hear the player beat boxing over the hole, as such it would probably require additional audio content.

Hey Guys,

Thank you all for your responses.

I watched those videos, although they didn't really help me with what I am looking in this thread I love watching videos like this, I have not come across these two videos before,
these are very well done. I have thought about breath and bow before but this guy has done so just a little bit more than I have, just a little bit more.....
Thank you for recommending these videos.

I am still open for any other ideas/recommendations if anyone has anything else they would like to share.

Thank you all again

Back