Why we love repetition in music

Repetition is only good when attempting to learn a new skill but as for listening to a song over and over making something better, it comes down to the content and/or subject matter and especially in but not limited to, Hip Hop, familiarity breeds contempt.

Asap Rocky's PESO. Everyone I know that listens to that song will listen to it at least 2-3 times before the next song. It's just something everyone does, everyone i know that listens to rocky at least.

Great info in the video!

Personally, I'd like to add that if repetition is wether good or not is linked to what genre it's in, and that it can be done both good and bad.
A good repetition isn't that noticable but still does its thing, when a bad one sounds childish (as music critics often say according to the video).
Take a track with perhaps 2 repetitions of the chorus, where the second chorus is changed to perhaps bring in something new, and compare it to a track with 3 choruses which sounds pretty much the same arrangementwise. Which one would you say is better and more intelligent?
Then we have different types of repetitions, such as how many times a part of a song is repeated (again, the number of repeats of a chorus is a great example), but also how many times different elements are repeated within different parts of the song, and so on.

The reason why I say this is because I felt the video almost encouraged producers a bit to make those typical repetitions in music that critics describe as childish, because they get the impression that it's more "psychologically correct to do so".
Music is art, and it's boundaries should be explored. :)

Great info in the video!

Personally, I'd like to add that if repetition is wether good or not is linked to what genre it's in, and that it can be done both good and bad.
A good repetition isn't that noticable but still does its thing, when a bad one sounds childish (as music critics often say according to the video).
Take a track with perhaps 2 repetitions of the chorus, where the second chorus is changed to perhaps bring in something new, and compare it to a track with 3 choruses which sounds pretty much the same arrangementwise. Which one would you say is better and more intelligent?
Then we have different types of repetitions, such as how many times a part of a song is repeated (again, the number of repeats of a chorus is a great example), but also how many times different elements are repeated within different parts of the song, and so on.

The reason why I say this is because I felt the video almost encouraged producers a bit to make those typical repetitions in music that critics describe as childish, because they get the impression that it's more "psychologically correct to do so".
Music is art, and it's boundaries should be explored. :)

Music is a glorious gift.

Sometimes the simplest expressions can bring out something unique and crazy. I always encourage people o strive for something new and weird and different, even if I think it sucks. Do it anyway. Experiment. Take risks. Be passionate and free.

The crazy thing is that people will eventually come around to accept those weird and crazy expressions when packaged correctly.

Music is a glorious gift.

Sometimes the simplest expressions can bring out something unique and crazy. I always encourage people o strive for something new and weird and different, even if I think it sucks. Do it anyway. Experiment. Take risks. Be passionate and free.

The crazy thing is that people will eventually come around to accept those weird and crazy expressions when packaged correctly.

Exactly. This is how new genres are created in the first place. Electronic Music for example might have been seen as very strange and experimental in the beginning.

I think all songs that do not follow their typical genres rules and formulas sound like this in the beginning, but develop into something a whole lot more.

Back