Why Theory Isn't All That Necessary to Produce Hip-Hop (First-Hand Experience)

BenjyBeats

My name is Benjy. I am 20 years old, and I have been producing since I was 16. Starting out, I knew nothing about Music Theory, but as my passion and drive developed, music began to dominate my school life. I am currently at Ball State University for Music Media Production & Industry, making a 3.7 GPA. I do not say this to brag, but rather to show you that I have seen both sides of the spectrum.

WHILE THEORY CAN HELP YOU A TON, when producing hip-hop, in my experience it is almost better not to have this knowledge. yeah, basic theory, progressions, etc are essential. but what is MORE IMPORTANT than anything is what you rely on most, which is your ear.
If youre anything like me, you will find that when you play something that you do like, sometimes it does not fit into this traditional idea of theory. This can be an instant block, as you don't know where to go next or how to resolve, etc. I think it is far more important to think of things more loosely, trust your instincts, and your ear. Play around, listening to find what sound you hear next in your mind, as opposed to seeing whats written down and attempting to follow a formula, like I did.

Eager to hear your thoughts, please comment below. Here is a sample below of my work, I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a quick listen and let me know what you think as well. Peace & Love.

benjy. | Benjy | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Music theory's rules are just a guideline. I used to think music theory wasn't needed at all, but it does help when it comes to playing instruments or arranging etc.
Terms and explanations about music.

This is actually the way I learn theory.
I learned the basics, and then whenever I come across something that doesn't fit into the theory I know, I remember it and think about it until it does.

thats definitely a good approach, sort of the reverse way of learning it. i've been taking theory classes for years, and it has its advantages and disadvantages. when it comes to composing more complex music it becomes more necessary. hip-hop is more about building and layering more simple patterns in my experience.

It's just a language that allows you to communicate with other musicians. I don't think its necessary to know formal theory to make good music.

As a guitar / composition major myself back in the university days, I'd like to put my two cents here. Music theory truly like BenjyBeats claims is only a percentage of making music. There are many many musicians who barely know any theory but have a good ear and put out amazing music. However, it is also the building blocks for something better. If you have a good knowledge of theory than in most circumstances it puts you at an advantage because of it. I've been working in the industry for a long while now, and I can tell you that those who have theory definitely have better workflow.

Another reason as to why to learn the theory I believe is to know what you are doing is fresh and new and dope. By this I mean that many new artists or producers cook up beats and think that they've made something original (a new chord progression, an unheard of melody, etc) when all they are doing is doing something that's been done over and over and over again. If you aspire to be truly original, then the theory is just half of the game. It lets you know what everyone else is doing, and so, purposefully, avoid what they are doing in order to be original and experiment.

Music theory is just a tool, like any other. It is a really good tool, sorta like learning piano or guitar. I think the question is more about whether you want to spend the time learning it vs. other uses of your time. I.E making more music. If you are on the grind and trying to get your name out there are your music is already pretty good on your ear alone, maybe theory is something you learn later when you get to a a down slope and need something to help you change up you sound. If your sound is not what you want it to be, theory can help A LOT with figuring out what it is you want out of your sound and how to get it.

Booo, wheres the down vote button?

theory isnt a necessity but I wouldnt go out the way to belittle it. its a helpful tool and not a template to copy from. its a language of musical logic. and contrary to your post theory can actually help you understand why something didnt work. its not something to be disposed of. if it doesnt work at the moment of the song just disregard the tool momentarily. you wouldnt use a shovel to paint a window. just a tool

Edit:
oh and its also a matter of knowing the rules so you can break them (consciously)

Last edited:
oh and its also a matter of knowing the rules so you can break them (consciously)

When people say this, they are are a bit confused about the "rules" part. Most people assume "rules" mean "the rules of music theory", which is ridiculous as once you start learning music and theory you will quickly realize that there aren't any actual rules in the way most people think there are. Swap out "rules" for "conventions of genre" and the saying makes more sense. As you learn and understand theory of music, you will no longer be bound to the conventions of whatever genre you are composing in. For example, most blues follow a twelve-bar I-IV-V structure. If you wanted to produce a convincing twelve-bar blues song, you would the start with this standard I-IV-V progression. BUT, if you wanted to do some more harmonically interesting things with your tune to stretch it out beyond the blues framework, knowing and understanding theory can facilitate this.
A better saying would be, "Learn the theoretical conventions and cliche's of a musical genre so you will never be bound by them".

I think it's hilarious that there are more threads about how music theory isn't needed, then there are saying its helpful. Really look at yourself and ask why you are discounting it. Is it cause it's takes time to learn and practice? And you don't want to go through the hassle.

If one day you are lucky enough to be in a studio with a high caliber artist like Kelly Clarkston or something, and she says build the track in A minor, what are you going to say "uh..uh..how about we just check out this dope sample I found".

And don't tell me I just do hip hop, so I don't need it. Like someone else said earlier, it will give you an advantage over the masses. That is what "making it" is all about, standing out amongst the masses. What can you offer that others can't? And some people will say it's just a guideline. Sheeet....I rather put my pennies in a method that has a proven to make hit records overtime, then experiment with something new.

The average listener is used to hearing those chord progressions. They unconsciously feel comfort when they hear them. If I was 20 years of age, I would be learning theory, piano, guitar, drums, mixing, mastering, whatever you can digest. Yeah it is a mountain to climb, but this will set you ahead of all the other fools that aren't willing to make that sacrifice.

God Bless America!

I think it's hilarious that there are more threads about how music theory isn't needed, then there are saying its helpful. Really look at yourself and ask why you are discounting it. Is it cause it's takes time to learn and practice? And you don't want to go through the hassle.

If one day you are lucky enough to be in a studio with a high caliber artist like Kelly Clarkston or something, and she says build the track in A minor, what are you going to say "uh..uh..how about we just check out this dope sample I found".

And don't tell me I just do hip hop, so I don't need it. Like someone else said earlier, it will give you an advantage over the masses. That is what "making it" is all about, standing out amongst the masses. What can you offer that others can't? And some people will say it's just a guideline. Sheeet....I rather put my pennies in a method that has a proven to make hit records overtime, then experiment with something new.

The average listener is used to hearing those chord progressions. They unconsciously feel comfort when they hear them. If I was 20 years of age, I would be learning theory, piano, guitar, drums, mixing, mastering, whatever you can digest. Yeah it is a mountain to climb, but this will set you ahead of all the other fools that aren't willing to make that sacrifice.

God Bless America!

I agree with this. Instead of taking the easy route, saddle the heck up and take the hard one. It'll pay off a lot more in the future. Sure, finding a quick sample today is a lot easier than taking the time to write your own melody (crate digging has its place, don't get me wrong). But it won't give you the foresight into the true art of music. People want to hear new things. A lot of good hip hop artists actually understand this and write their music from scratch, with an occasional small sample here and there. It's more fun to write your music. It gives you a sense of accomplishment and ownership. Big K.R.I.T. is one example I can think of.

Last edited:
Can you show me some "hip hop" which doesn't use the western chromatic scale, or any scale? Or doesn't utilize tempo (bpm)? I think your understanding of what theory is may be quite non literal. Just because song writers do not use sophisticated orchestral phrasing and arranging does not mean it lacks theory.

Back