Why the sidechain?

KOBB3N

Why is it that noobs are so into sidechaining? It's like it's the holy grail in producing. Well, guess what? It's not. When it comes to the technical aspect of electronic music, let's go pro before soundengenering, ok? Don't know how many tracks I've heard, spoiled by this overrated thingy called sidechain. In the wrong place, with all the wrong reasons it sound's just terrible, and are best left to mastering if your on that level of producing. Thought's about that?

"Sidechain everything! More or less." David Guetta on

Burn Studio Recidency, Ibiza.
Look from 06:00. Just saying :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's 12 years on from Benny Benassi's Satisfaction and the sidechain craze is still on. Not that it was the first song that used it, but I think it was after it hit that everyone was after "the pump".

Maybe you didn't understand me. Sidechaning is a powerful tool in the right hands, but it can also slaughter a good track to a real mess. I would say sidechain nothing! until you'r good enough ;)
I'd like to know how Deadmau5 song would be without sidechaining... Or any psytrance song... or....

Ok, man let me tell you one thing: sidechain is important not only to have the "pumping" effect we hear on many many house, electro-house, trance and many other genres.

Sidechain is a good tool to clean up the mess when you have two instruments clashing. I'll give you an example: on drum and bass, normally the reese bass occupies a wide range of frequencies, from the sub-bass to the highest freqeuancies. So, it may clash not only with the kick, but with the snare, the percussion, the pads, the vocals. Can you imagine how would the song sound if the producer didn't use sidechain?

Bass and Kick, Kick and Pads, those are really the only two reasons I have really liked to use side chain. Going crazy with any single tool can be a mess, but as the adage goes, knowing to use one tool really well is better than being alright with many?

Why is it that noobs are so into sidechaining? It's like it's the holy grail in producing.

Haha mannn, **blanket statement alert**

Why sidechain? Make a 4x4 kick and any bassline and listen to how horrible it will sound.

Like Ddream said, if Deadmau5 never sidechained, his tracks would sounds terrible. And so would almost any other house track.

That's like saying "why use reverb. I've heard many tracks spoiled by this overrated thing called reverb".

I dare to say if it needed sidechaining, it probably sounded terrible anyways.
People forget dance music was around far longer than sidechaining as a go-to technique for cleaning up a sonic mess.

Back