Why is everyone sampling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneNine0588

Did Kanye start this?

By the way **HI EVERYONE** I'm new to the boards. I been peepin for a while
I'm 18. From Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I'm working towards producer status. I been doin my thing for almost a year now.

Anyway. Why is everyone sounding so east coast? Maybe it's because down here, all we play is Lil Boosie and Webbie. But don't ya'll get tired of old pianos and strings?

OneNine0588 said:
Did Kanye start this?

hahahhaa omg ur joking right??? this whole hip hop thing as we call it started with sampling... way b4 kanye my dude... thats unbelievable.... anyway I tend to think there is a greater majority of southern music coming out now suprising to me that u think otherwise...

don't u get tired of 808 snares???

Last edited:
dont u get tired of all the same sounding synth south beats (< tounge twister in there)

Last edited:
I was kind of wondering the same thing (kind of) I started seeing post a couple weeks ago that people were just starting out and want to sample. I don't understand why some people just can't give composing a chance. If there were no composers there would be no sampling. Some people depend on it way too much.

OneNine0588 said:
Did Kanye start this?

By the way **HI EVERYONE** I'm new to the boards. I been peepin for a while
I'm 18. From Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I'm working towards producer status. I been doin my thing for almost a year now.

Anyway. Why is everyone sounding so east coast? Maybe it's because down here, all we play is Lil Boosie and Webbie. But don't ya'll get tired of old pianos and strings?

LMAO. What? This should be fun.

For the record, Kanye DID NOT start that. DJ Premier, Marley Marl, Pete Rock, Prince Paul, RZA, and etc started that, and/or help evolve that. Kanye is just an extention of that era.

Look for the Beat Kings DVD. You'll see the roots of sampling.

Cause back at the roots of Hip-Hop, cats didn't have their own sounds, there weren't huge advancements in keyboards, all folk had were turntables, grandma's house was full of old records and then the evolution of the 12-bit samplers. All this seems to define the 'street' and 'grit' of the original form of Hip-Hop. The funk of the breakbeats, smooth jazz guitars, and horn bursts ALL defined the streets, and the essence of the music.

Why is everyone sounding so eastcoast? Have you listened to radio lately? :monkey: Your sound is ruling.

Don't you guys get tired of 808 Bass, and keyboard beats? :monkey:

See my point, although I'm from the south, that tired eastcoast statement is offensive...

b onix said:
I was kind of wondering the same thing (kind of) I started seeing post a couple weeks ago that people were just starting out and want to sample. I don't understand why some people just can't give composing a chance. If there were no composers there would be no sampling. Some people depend on it way too much.

Everybody keeps asking me do I sample...

I'm like NOOOOOOOOO! lol. Composing is great. Cause you can get contacts faster and make more money. Not to mention backend money for licensing beats to commercials.

:monkey: gotta love a side hustle. :monkey:

Record Labels don't want to invest in some dude's beats and he doesn't even own his drums. LOL...

\

PlanetHitzProduction said:
LMAO. What? This should be fun.

For the record, Kanye DID NOT start that. DJ Premier, Marley Marl, Pete Rock, Prince Paul, RZA, and etc started that, and/or help evolve that. Kanye is just an extention of that era.

Look for the Beat Kings DVD. You'll see the roots of sampling.

Cause back at the roots of Hip-Hop, cats didn't have their own sounds, there weren't huge advancements in keyboards, all folk had were turntables, grandma's house was full of old records and then the evolution of the 12-bit samplers. All this seems to define the 'street' and 'grit' of the original form of Hip-Hop. The funk of the breakbeats, smooth jazz guitars, and horn bursts ALL defined the streets, and the essence of the music.

Why is everyone sounding so eastcoast? Have you listened to radio lately? :monkey: Your sound is ruling.

Don't you guys get tired of 808 Bass, and keyboard beats? :monkey:

See my point, although I'm from the south, that tired eastcoast statement is offensive...

Thank you.... no offense to the poster take this however u like but all that you just said/Asked to put it kindly was BS.... It's one thing to have an opinon and a totally other thing to have a opinion that can't be validated through lack of your own ignorance....

mA bOi ToL mE iT aInT kEnAyE dAt StArTeD sAmPlIn, ItZ tEeNbO. hE kNo, CoZ hEz BeEn PrOdUcIn Fo LiKe 6 mOnTh Or SoMtIn KrAzY.

God, Mano! that took me like 5 mins to read! LMAO...

I actually don't have anything against sampling.

I sample MY music.. you read right.

I compose classical music / orchestral arrangements, stuff like that... separately from beats... then later I sometimes pick apart one of these recordings and sample them

that's right

why?

because sampling has "Something" special that comes with it - artifacts - when you chop something up, you can hear "problems" with note decays from the previous chop / bar still remaining, unnatural releases (cut) of notes toward the end of a chop.

there is also timing... you get very different timing structures with sampled+chopped phrases due to the fact that sometimes the time signature is not the same, and the beats don't hit the notes as they were intended when the sampled "piece" was composed originally.

I hope I dropped some useful information here.

take care.

thats real interesting mano...sounds like you know about 415,000 times more about music than i do...it gives me inspiration to keep learning...

but to the first poster...i thought puff daddy was the first to sample?? member he said "we take hits from the 80's...we do em sound so crazzzyy!!"....yeah...he was def. the first...:D

*hopes people catch sarcasm*

Diddy said he was the one who invented the remix. I don't know about the sampling but it obviously wasnt him.

To be fair i think(and hope) the poster means more of the recent trend of more upstart producers sampling and even established producers who dont traditionally sample diggin for records. and to some extent Kanye and Just Blaze are somewhat responsible for the resurgence for sampling. I dont believe sampling never got totally outta style but it had lost a lot of its luster because its just more cost effective to have a keyboard driven sound because of sample clearence. I just wanted to provide an alternative to the loads of people who gonna make fun of dude(p.s. my conspiricy theory is some major label dudes who be on this forum post that type of shyt for a reaction)

Last edited:
mano 1 said:
I actually don't have anything against sampling.

I sample MY music.. you read right.

I compose classical music / orchestral arrangements, stuff like that... separately from beats... then later I sometimes pick apart one of these recordings and sample them

that's right

why?

because sampling has "Something" special that comes with it - artifacts - when you chop something up, you can hear "problems" with note decays from the previous chop / bar still remaining, unnatural releases (cut) of notes toward the end of a chop.

there is also timing... you get very different timing structures with sampled+chopped phrases due to the fact that sometimes the time signature is not the same, and the beats don't hit the notes as they were intended when the sampled "piece" was composed originally.

I hope I dropped some useful information here.

take care.

Indeed you have, but knowing what can be chopped properly and using time stretching properly you can pull it off. I do agree with what you said, just want to let newcomers who may be reading this topic know there are workarounds but it takes a developed ear to be able to catch it....which is something that can be developed. It took me a while to get my ears to a level that works.

I hate these threads that some new poster starts then doesn't answer them ever again. :mad::mad:

Imma go to sleep soon. When I wake up, and I still don't see any posts from the original poster, I'm closing this thread. Cause threads like this nature, turn out to be terrible.....

I compose with samples...and sample my (synthesised or acoustic) compositions

who really cares what the next man is doing....mano said it right.

one thing i will say though, people need to stop using the word "compose" to describe the use of horrible synth presets and poppy 808s.

PlanetHitzProduction said:

Actually The Beatles were the first to sample, they would take an everyday sound a loop it on a bunch of tape reels or something for the whole song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back