why does long attack & release times in massive don't work on monophonic

squidman90

squiddy
hey there just wondering the theory behind when i create long attack and release times for a bass or whatever it doesn't work on monophonic modes in massive?. BTW my bassline notes are just one note after another.

i realise that monophonic is when you can only play one voice at a time on a keyboard, when polyphonic is the ability to play more than one voice (chords) at the same time (2+ keys).

so why is it when i play one note at a time, on monophonic with long attack and release times it gets cut off ?, i thought it should still release over the next note i play. try this in massive to get my idea.

thank matt

Basically a mono-synth isn't able to produce more than one sound at once. It means that whatever is release time, you won't be able to hear your first note release coming down with your second note attack.

This is dependant on the kind of synthesis you're using. In Massive, your synthesis is about wavetables. What does it means ?

It means that, yes, you can't play any kind of harmony (intervals, chords, etc.) ; but generally you can't produce two wavetables at the same time.
So your first note generate a wave, and pressing a second note trigger another wavetable. This last wavetable will cutoff the first one, regardless your attack/release settings. Even if you can't hear the sound, the wave is triggered.

You have to think mono on Massive like mono on a hardware synth. It's not something like a "post-synthesis monophonic effect", it just determines how the synth reacts when you play it. Try to look at the number of voices massive indicates when you're playing your sound in a poly mode ;).

Last edited:
thanks for the great reply. For some reason i thought most monophonic synths for some reason allow the release to go, when you pressed the next note. I think maybe the patch i made was short and didn't release long enough for me to notice to notice the cutoff. I found this about Reasons Thor synth interesting - "release polyphony option"
FunctionDescription
PolyphonyThis setting determines the number of voices that you can play simultaneously when Polyphonic mode is selected. The maximum number of voices also depends on the specs of your iPad.
Release
Polyphony
This governs the number of voices that are allowed to naturally decay/ring out (in the release phase of the envelope) when new notes are triggered and Polyphonic mode is selected. E.g. if you set this to “0”, any new note(s) will cut off the release of any previously triggered notes.
Mono LegatoMono Legato mode is monophonic regardless of the Polyphony setting. It works as follows:

• Hold down a key and then press another key without releasing the previous.
    Notice that the pitch changes, but the envelopes do not start over. That is, there will be no new “attack”.
Mono RetrigMono Retrig is also monophonic and this mode means that when you press a key the envelopes are always retriggered.
PolyphonicThis is the standard polyphonic play mode - you can play the number of voices set with the Polyphony parameter.
Portamento
On/Off/Auto
The knob is used for controlling portamento - a parameter that makes the pitch glide between the notes you play, rather than changing the pitch instantly as soon as you hit a key on your keyboard. By turning this knob you set how long it should take for the pitch to glide from one note to the next as you play them. There are three basic portamento modes:

• Off means no portamento.
  • When set to On, portamento is applied to all notes.
  • In Auto mode, there will only be any portamento when playing more than one note. If any of the Mono modes are selected, portamento will only affect the legato notes.

Back