Why do I suck at making beats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a beginner and get frustrated too, so I am taking a break and am brushing up on music theory. I have a basic understanding of the base concepts but need to step my game up. My advice would be to get in the theory books and get a book or two on composition. There are a couple of dummies guides that are great.

Don't be afraid to learn theory or think it will stifle any creativity because that is straight up bullshit. Knowing the theory would only help your creativity rather than hinder it. If you slap together something without knowing about theory and it sounds good - that's music theory at work. If you know about the theory you will know why it sounds good and you will be better able to make a beat. It really doesn't take too much learning to get to grips with chords/scales/ other basics and they will help a lot especially when you start.

That and as has been said practice practice practice and just go in and have fun - something I admittedly have to work on which is why I am taking a break. Just compose over and over, don't try for a masterpiece just practice. When it stops being fun stop trying to make a beat and have a break.

You could also try dissecting and analysing beats you like to get an insight to how the producers you like craft their beats. I am a beginner to it but I found it help to learn how the songs are structured, how their drums work, how their harmonic rhythm is and how they worked the melody.

Last edited:
2 years is not a lot of time when it comes to something as complex as music, I've been producing since 2006 and I feel like I'm still only scratching on the surface of what is possible.

You should try switching up your production techniques. Start with different instruments than you usually start with. Try starting a beat with a harp sound, or a shaker loop. If you start with drums usually than try next time with a bass line or melody.

If you keep trying the same thing over and over again you are not going to get any better. Einstein said that the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Good luck

I have the same problem. I often flip out when I am not getting the results I want. I guess this is normal and we all get frustrated when this type of thing happens. I like this forum because there are a lot of like-minded individuals with great technical advice but none of this can fix what is happening inside of you. Just be at piece with your work. If you know that you are giving it your all and trying to get better then who gives a flying fuhdoodle about negativity. Don't let it get to you. Also, remember that you must control your ego a little bit because it's bad thinking to assume that people are focusing too much on your work and criticizing you when the reality is that most of people really don't have the time to hate on your stuff (and screw them if they do). It's amazing how much better my beats get when I focus on just making an ill production. When you first open that program with the intention of making the best song you can possibly make instead of forcing yourself to out do everyone can make all the difference. I just tell myself, "do it for the enjoyment and don't pressure yourself."

The above advice of 'try again keep at it' is definitely the most important thing. Set very small goals and achieve them as to not be discouraged. PM me a link to your music and maybe I can help you focus in on something that needs work.
However ! - This is just false: 'we all have a brain. & no one's works any different' The fact of the matter is our brains don't all work the same. We live in a psychology nation in which people will symptomize you and tell you exactly what is wrong with you but not tell you how to fix it.
Some problems with your brain you will be born with , others will develop through childhood (and the rest of life alike) and it is your job to figure out the 'why' of the negative traits you have ; such as uncontrollable anger. All in all - these things make you every bit who you are , no less than your positive traits.

Learn Theory and Skills!!!
Everyday try and learn a new skill to be applied, it just takes time.

With regards to you saying you videos of guys making it look so easy, yes this is true, but that's cause they have there work flow and usually the beat is thought out first. I used to try so hard to make a beat and add all these elements and bring out good melodies and chord progressions and it would sound good, but then I'd watch someone on the net who can't even play piano make a nice beat using one finger. I started to notice that a lot of times, the melody and music theory side of things can be as simple as ABC but it's the sounds chosen and the mix that can immediately give off a good vibe.

take a step back then analyze your own music and compare it to others, then make a list on places and techniques where you feel you need to improve. then take time out of making music to work on those techniques instead, one by one until theyre all completed. then analyze again and do the same thing and youll notice your beats will improve gradually. 2 years isnt long either, im at it almost 13 years with breaks and still feel like ive a ton to learn.

Start off by actually knowing music first. I have been producing for almost 3 years but I have been in music for 10 years, I'm 21. The most important thing is knowing your music such as rhythms and chords. I'm not saying go and take a full course of music theory because hell I can't tell you the first thing about a B flat major triad lol; you just want to get your ears trained to hear certain rhythms and chords because they will help you get in tocuh with your work.

Find your style, find what's fun to you lol. I barely started but I don't see how y'all get frustrated, y'all should be having fun. I have fun, even if my beats sound like shit

learning music theory is the key to a great beat. and get good plugins.
I want to learn music theory to still but i'm just too lazy which i hate.
I'm sample-based though but i add my own melodies on top of it.

i make my music with a lot of patience. Taking my time to perfect the beat. it takes about 2 weeks for me till a beat is finished for. i do it with little steps.

practice everyday and most of all have fun, as soon as it seems like it's work, stop, take a break and come back later.

You just got to stop trying so hard! Seriously, I had the same issue when I began producing, but as I loosened up a bit, stopped watching tutorials, and stopped trying to sound like everyone else I really started to get good at this stuff! Mind you I am still learning but everyday I learn something new, just don't give up!

Patience is key here.

I started in FL too. If you are like I was, I would just quantize everything becuase it was so simple to just drop a kick and snare in and light up the boxes. If this is what you are doing, just stop it. Your beats will lack any discernable groove. The groove is your choice of rhythm against time IMO. Don't quantize at all if you can play keys decently. If not try the following:

Quantize your snare, then move the entire snare track late in relation to the kick. Quantize your hats, then move that entire hat track late in relation to the snare. This is not a trap beat thing. This is a groove thing. You might already be doing this, but if not try it out. Mess around with it for a little while until you just start nodding your head. This is a groove. Just sayin. Hope this helps.

-DG

Try keeping it easy. Not only your attitude but your beats as well. Try to make a good sounding beat with the least elements you can put into it.
Bascially do this:

1) Programm a nice drum groove
2) Play the bassline as many times as it needs until you feel like it's moving you

Now if you got this down...you layed the foundation of your beat game.

Then:

3) Start adding different elements to that foundation
4) Make sure that the beat is driving you to want to rap and that there is enough space in it for vocals to be rapped over (most young beatmakers try to put too much stuff in a beat at once).

Maby find a key to play in and write progressions and use the scale to write a melody on top. Ull def get a good sound going. Anothrt thing is try not copy hit radio songs rather use them as a influence let your creativity ride out...try to develop your own unique style best of luck man

Hey don't be so harsh on yourself. Even the best producer has his bad times when he thinks that a beat he just made sucks. 2 years is definitely not long enough to master your craft. First look at the name of this forum. FUTUREproducers, which means we are all here to learn, to get better. Watch tutorials, get feedbacks from other users, learn some basic music theories, and most importantly enjoy making beats! We are all doing this because we love making these beats right? So enjoy and don't ever lose passion for it!

I find the best way to do it is just create a basic drum loop and using a midi keyboard, just play around. Some of the best stuff will come to you if you just relax and have fun with it!

Well for trap beats i make a lot of those and sometimes they end up not being trap and.
1. A lot if times, more than you think the vocals enhanced the song. I played the 'i dont like' instrumental and its nothing but 2 to 3 synths a high octave saw and some high bells. A crash,hi hats. One snare, one kick one 808 MAYBE a bass sine but for the most part no more than 14 tracks. Me or you could have made that. And remember for trap the instruments are half the db level of the kick and snare and maybe close to the same range of the 808.learn to eq and compress sparingly. Dont have a limiter on your master track just make sure nothing exceeds 0. Lastly LEARN COMPRESSION. Very vital

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back