Why do I suck at making beats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XerobX

Im 16 and I had fl studio for 2 years almost now and im still not good..i can make a beat here and there but they don't have that radio feeling sound..they sound different...i make trap beats, but they sound different from what you would normally hear. I wanna make professionally sounding beats not whatever im making..i try extremely hard and watch all these tutorials on YouTube and these cats making it look easy..i try and fail..so once i fail about 4 times in a row to even get a good melody(which where i struggle the most) i end up pissed off for the rest off the night with a bad mood..im already hot tempered and/or bi-polar and mixed with the fustration of sucking at what i strive todo..it drives me insane...i cant expressed how pissed i am..once im like this i cant even take a break cuz its like a tumor that just sits in my mind and all i can think bout is the rap beat that im unable to produce in my head..wtf can i do...i got nexus and purity and gladiotor with a crap load of great kits..

Last edited:
i don't know, man. Try putting chords down before you get a melody. Maybe that'll help. Try remaking songs you like.

I'm new at this game too but I know from other aspects of life that you'll get a thousand no's before you get a single yes. I may not have the best sound now but as long as you stay persistent and work hard doing something you love you'll eventually get to a point where you can be satisfied with something you produced. I can't offer much else advice but definitely keep trying and come at it from a different angle.

Try and try again sir. Rome wasn't build overnight. I've spent almost 9 yrs to get to where I am and I still have a long way to go. Don't be afraid to bump into some walls, sometimes thats how you gotta find a light switch in a dark room. Keep askin questions, keep learnin and soakin' up game and most importantly, keep tryin!

It's cool man you are young and just getting started. Just listen to everything with a good groove and really get into what makes those grooves good or not. Step outside of hip hop and listen to some funk, reggae, or rock (or whatever). If you can find access to a drum kit, try to learn how to play drums or at least get the idea. Don't worry about making beats that sound like the radio stuff, and screw what other people think right now you make this stuff for you. Also, it sounds like you might be a bit of a perfectionist, and that is the worst way to be when you are starting to learn this stuff. Make mistakes and learn from them and be excited about that, because in making mistakes you can learn faster than in any other way. Don't throw stuff away if you don't like the way it sounds right away either, you can make two notes sound amazing if you do the right stuff to them. Just devour everything that comes your way with a smile on your face and sooner or later you will get there. I've been doing music for 13 years and I am just getting to the point of making shit I am really proud of, so just be happy that you are at the start of an awesome journey.

some good advice above... an organised, systematic approach to learning is the key to any knowledge/skill/talent... you have a passionate desire which is the main ingredient to any kind of success, you will get there as long as you keep working at it...you will one day reach a point where the music you make is an expression and outlet rather than a frustration... but remember the surest path is an organised and systematic approach... maintain this and it just a matter of time and patience... good luck

If you feel like you are not making radio ready songs then it means you don't fully understand the components of a radio hit. Listen to your I-pod and try to analyse all your favorite songs to the most minute detail. Then try to remake some of them, you will learn a lot from emulating what works.I suggest you learn about music theory and learn how to play an instrument. Youtube tutorials are great and all but they are usually not very good at telling you why things work, music theory will help you with the "why?"

Don't be discouraged broheim, just keep working hard and you will get ther

Try copying a song you like and try to make it sound exactly the same as much as possible... That's the best advice I have for you based on what you gave me. Also look into expanding your sound library. Maybe you don't like the sounds in your library and need better newer ones to help inspire you.

Also, quit trying to be like other producers out there. Create your own style. Set trends, and don't spend time worrying about following trends.

do you have a midi keyboard?? if not get one one and pratctice that will help you alot to have dope melody than only having a mousse .

I can relate, I have very strong motivation to make awesome music and all types of crazy shit going on in my head, but when I sit down to try and make it I inevitably hit a wall and end up with something that sounds subpar. Let me say that if not getting the sound you want really makes you angry enough to ruin your night, you might want to work on dealing with that first because that mentality won't be conducive to making music. There's no need to rush yourself, I relate to being impatient but you just have to have faith that all those hours you put in are getting you closer to your goal. Maybe you're just setting your expectations too high.

You should also check out that Ill Methodology video PresentProducer posted, it's long but I just watched it and that shit is church.

It's all about learning music theory.. Understanding what chords are used in those radio songs.. It's gotta be catchy for one.. For example, "Call Me Maybe" That is a very basic song, with just a basic chord progression.. The verse consists of one chord and a bass line.. I'm a big fan of live music and rock music, so that's where I get my style from.. But never attempt to copy other producers.. Set your own style, and make others want to copy you.. But you're young, just keep drinking from the fountain of knowledge.. Most importantly, stay focused and committed. David Guetta is 45, and he didn't hit it big time until about 3 years ago.

practice bro, practice. sit there for minutes, hours, days until u get the sound u like man, dont quit! and experiment and fuk around with different sounds i find that helps me wen im lacking inspiration

You need to develop a sense of originality. From your post, it seems you only make the kind of beats that you have already heard. We dont need more producers like that. Also another thing that will probably improve your quality is working on your mixing skills

You seem to be trying to tackle too big of a goal for yourself, that of making a "professional-quality" song. Learning all that it takes will be a long process, so for now just worry about improving with each project you make. Also, don't take it too hard if what you're making doesn't sound like other things you've heard. As long as it sounds good, that's all that matters. Besides that, just work hard and keep your head up.

---------- Post added at 11:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:01 PM ----------

Also, posting something you've made on here and getting some constructive criticism would probably help.

frustration is part of the game, not everything you hear on the radio was just pumped out in one try. for every good beat you hear there could be 100 unused or downright bad... and it seems like your trying to hard to make a certain type of beat. dont make a specified genre, make what you feel and youll find your style, and it will sound good

if you were meant to do this...it will happen...i have good ideas but i have a hard time making it sound like how i want it to sound....in just starting to get alright and ive been using fl studio for 10+ years.

try adding effects...add a heavy reverb and the sound goodizer on the master channel, that way when u preview sounds they will sound twice as better

i usually havea rap in my head humming along to the beat, make sure it has swag and a purpose....also leave enouh room in the beat for lyrics....we producers make beats because we see infinite possibilities in producing, ...u will find a way.

Your beats don't sound like the stuff on the radio because stuff on the radio has been mixed by professional mixing engineers and mastered by professional mastering engineers. In addition, stuff you hear on the radio also has artists rapping over them. My guess is that you'd be surprised to hear what those beats sound like with no one rapping over the top of them. Some of them would sound elementary.

That being said, to get better you should put your time and effort into, song format, transitions and mixing.

When it comes to melody, a good rule of thumb is this. If you can't whistle or hum it, it will not be a catchy melody. In addition, you can create a catchy melody, but it can get boring real quick without having some differing harmony behind it to change up the feeling. Hope this helps.

I'm almost 20 and had FL for 2 years and just now am getting good. I suggest learning about chords, keys, and all that other music theory stuff.

Straight up, stop trying so hard and start having fun. You need to let go and see what happens. When you sit and over think everything, youre never going to find a proper direction. Maybe making trap beats isnt for you. Try messing around with sounds, try listening to new music. Branch out.

Straight up, stop trying so hard and start having fun. You need to let go and see what happens. When you sit and over think everything, youre never going to find a proper direction. Maybe making trap beats isnt for you. Try messing around with sounds, try listening to new music. Branch out.

Listen to him ^^^^ thats a big part of it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back