Why do I suck at making beats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm gunna bypass what everyone has put and just write what I think here (sorry guys if i'm repeating what you've already said!)

You may be able to relate to this, I struggle with making tunes, so you're not alone. The more you sit there looking at a piece that you're working on, the less it'll make sense. You gotta take regular breaks, even if it means stepping out to make a drink or something, a change of scene will give you a rest and more importantly, your ears. You'll come back to a beat you were working on and think 'What the hell was I thinking?!' We've all been there.

Also, I struggle with structure when it comes to making tracks, I don't know how long a section should be, I get advised 16bars here, 8 there, but as it's my track obviously I'll have the final say. I make a lot of music that doesn't have vocals, and that's harder to structure, so if you're in the same boat, then you'll struggle too. Maybe if you are working without a singer, start off with an a capella and build the track around it, and then drop the a capella at the end. This might help.

And finally, it IS good to get other peoples opinions on your work, but collaborate with them, don't just ask them what is bad about a track. If you ask what is bad, people will just tend to point out parts of your song and it'll all turn negative. The more people you work with, the further you will network and the more wisdom you will pick up.

Seeing as you're 16, you ever thought about doing a Creative Music Technology course? I'm 26 and I started one last year, and never looked back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back