Why is it all about hip hop in the US?

I think that the US music industry can be liken to crack cocaine dealers...they have found a product that they can produce and manufacture the cheapest...then invest in clever marketing and make the most profit. They do this knowing that the average 'crackhead' listener will follow whatever fad that is targeted for them, and also defend it. I mean let's be real...with no hate intended...will there ever be a 25th anniversary recording of Soulja Boy's "Tell Em"?

good thing about the state of music today is that whenever genre's run their course and everything starts to sound the same a new sound or variation emerges. just be patient. a fresh sound is right around the corner.

I disagree with that. I believe that music runs in circles.....we have seen a big recurrence of 80's type sounds recently and its only a matter of time before everything else comes around again.

this recurrence you write about is exactly a condition of a music drought. when music dies it tries to go back to a time period to revive certain elements that worked then. rock was dying with the 80's hair bands thus grunge music was the resurgence of punk to try and bring life back to the dying industry of rock & roll.
nothing is new under the sun. i mean to say that hip hop has reached it's plateau, and now some evolution of a music stlye is soon to evolve from this death. be it soul from r&b, funk from soul, punk from rock, disco from 70's r&b(although disco was another example of r&b reaching it's peak) hip hop's musical culture evovled from a void. we are in a void right now, and something if not in the near future, soon will replace that void.

As my man Jay Electronica puts it... the only reason America's "top" music, on the charts and on the radio, is "crap" to most people is because all the stations fill us with is "crap". We are waiting for the change of wind if you get my drift...

It's been this way for the last 20 years or more... There's always good music out there, but rarely does any of it get played on the radio here.

protest my people protest. if we show a need for diversity on our airwaves we can get it! i've started listening to xm man. it's at least more appetizing than the midwest one station one genre format i hate.

I have a theory: Hip hop, to me, is a perfect combo of elements for a genre. It's edgy, creates an "underground" image (much like punk rock), except it's not entirely self-destructive. Unlike the punk scene, rap musicians aspire to be at the top of the charts. It's also electronically made and VERY cheap to produce (especially nowadays). Your vocalists don't need as much training (spitting lyrics is an art but it can't really be taught in a university at the moment).

I'll elaborate on this more in a little while, I got to get to class.

unkodrum said:
protest my people protest. if we show a need for diversity on our airwaves we can get it! i've started listening to xm man. it's at least more appetizing than the midwest one station one genre format i hate.

They did, and then alternative stations came about, and then those became mainstream... Now the radiowaves are full of pop-punk and accoustic folk rock.

I dislike the radio very much I can not relate or vibe to anything on the radio so I just search for what to me is good music and buy it, put it on my computer, and transfer it to my MP3 player. I can not remember the last time I listen to the radio. But I take great pride in my cd and record collection.

Last edited:
Back