Whooshy effect for tension

wallbrick

Hi,

I was wondering how do you do this "whooshy" effect for adding tension to your songs? Everybody and their grandma uses it, I just don't know how explain it better.

Since I can't post links yet, just google "How to balance a kick drum and bassline using EQ" from future music magazine, and you can hear it starting at 0:25. It's the effect on the bass-padish sound, it starts kinda flat and dull and then makes a "whoosh", and sound super great, adding a lot to tension.

I know it's automation of come parameter, but which one? I tried automating HP filter, but it didn't quite work.

The "wooshy" sounds you are referring to are probably to up lifters and down lifters. Which as you probably know are just dynamic white noise samples. I usually put them at important parts of my song (up lifters for the build up and down lifters for the drops). If necessary, I normally cut the sub via EQ and then just slap it onto my track with very little mixing beyond getting it in the ballpark for volume.
I'm pretty sure I attached my favorite down/uplifted to this post.

P.S In case you didn't know you can switch a up lifter to a down lifter and visa versa by reversing the sounds.

That's the thing, it's not white noise, or a up/downlifter. It behaves like a lifter, but it's definitely not white noise. It's automating a parameter of a synth, but I can't figure out which one. And I know now "whooshy" was a really bad word to describe it .D

Last edited:
That's the thing, it's not white noise, or a up/downlifter. It behaves like a lifter, but it's definitely not white noise. It's automating a parameter of a synth, but I can't figure out which one. And I know now "whooshy" was a really bad word to describe it .D
I heard wooshy and assumed white noise without actually listening.

Having listened I can tell you it's a synth sound with a long decay (or a long reverb), duplicate, and then reverse the sound

Back