who puts out the best sound modules?

prodeucer

I own a Korg MicroKorg but I was curious about those sound modules. I tried one out years ago but never jot down which company it was. It had some great sounds. I was wondering how those artists like Enya, Enigma, and Deep Forest got their ethereal or new age sound.

Last edited:
Well, this is what Deep Forest uses these days:

71f171_a54ae8fb366541c59c5582a2baa4037d.jpg_srz_640_480_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz

...which is to say that there's probably isn't an easy answer to this - these guys (especially DF & Michale Cretu of Enigma fame) at least used to use a lot of hardware back in the day. I guess the late 80s/early 90s digital synths - the DX7, D50, Waldorf/PPG (the Wave featuring prominently in that studio pic), Wavestation & the like would be the rather obvious approaches to "that sound", but there's a lot of variance in there. And in a lot of cases, the processing (ie. fx, especially reverb) contribute possibly just as much to the sound as the synths themselves.

so pretty much the new age sound is heavily reliant on reverb then? So pretty much I can use any synth that has an "ethnic" tone and get the sound that is a staple in "new age" by using reverb? Maybe delays help too. Is tape echo related to delay?

Last edited:
Back