Who can explain melodically what's going on here?

Sosan

Who can explain melodically/rhythmically going on here? The way the melodies are working together in this piece are crazy and it's definitely something I need to work on.. Any pointers? I can put more examples if needed. Thanks in advance.

Call and response?
There is a definite theory about call and response but I don't know what it is. Odds are oshi doesn't either and he's just doing it by ear and trial and error.

I think the underlying chords help as well: look up cadences. The first two chords are like a cadence, so the first leads into the second, and the last two are as well, so the last leads back to the first.

Not much but might help you a bit

Call and response?
There is a definite theory about call and response but I don't know what it is. Odds are oshi doesn't either and he's just doing it by ear and trial and error.

I think the underlying chords help as well: look up cadences. The first two chords are like a cadence, so the first leads into the second, and the last two are as well, so the last leads back to the first.

Not much but might help you a bit

Yep...look up call and response in regard to melodic movement. Oshi is one of these trap/house/future/jazz producers who combines a unique mixture of sound design, modern rhythms, basic classical phrasing, and basic jazz chord voicing. To explain this in one post would require a small book. If you want to understand it you are going to have to do some research on chord voicings, melodic movement, etc. I would highly suggest Julian Bradley's Youtube channel "jazztutorial" found here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jazztutorial

btw Oshi is like 17 years old and just got signed to a major record deal. he is quite the young prodigal boy wonder. most people go a lifetime with less mastery of a subject.

Yep...look up call and response in regard to melodic movement. Oshi is one of these trap/house/future/jazz producers who combines a unique mixture of sound design, modern rhythms, basic classical phrasing, and basic jazz chord voicing. To explain this in one post would require a small book. If you want to understand it you are going to have to do some research on chord voicings, melodic movement, etc. I would highly suggest Julian Bradley's Youtube channel "jazztutorial" found here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/jazztutorial

Been in the studio with him a couple times and he's dope. I slowed down the track and replayed everything so I know what he's doing now.. Where it comes from..? That's the billion dollar question right.. lol. My chord game is crazy if I do say so myself.. it's more so the melodic rhythms working together i need to work on. Thanks for the youtube channel. Peace.

Last edited:
Back