Who adds keyboard sounds to their sample based beats?

J

JiggSaw

Does anyone here add keyboard/synth sounds to their sample based beats? Or maybe add live instruments on top of the sample? I'd love to hear some examples.

I always try to use a sample as just another instrument, I'm not big on looping a track and calling it a day, although I love a lot of songs where Timbaland has done just that

I add things as they are needed. If the sample isn't enough I'll add a synth line. But, sometimes the sample is good by itself so I'll leave it alone.

i usually try to add something in the hook, even if i just add another part of the sample or beef it up a bit.

i like to add piano riffs too, just freestyling around to find some good notes, then i choose an instument that complements the mix well and throw it in...

sometimes it just doesn need anything thouhg.

another good tip for beefing up sample tracks is if you filter down a samples piano or something, you can make a respectable bass out of it.

85maestro said:
I always try to use a sample as just another instrument, I'm not big on looping a track and calling it a day, although I love a lot of songs where Timbaland has done just that

lol..like..?

if you dont add anything to your sample beats....then what are you doing....?

thats gotta be like the LEAST creative 'producing' i can imagine.

so you just find a hot 2 bar sample off some old sh1t, slap it over a looped beat, and call it good? theres your 'song'?

i hate to talk sh1t, but thats really what you kinda said, and how it sounded.

not to say there arent a ton of tracks just like that all over the place. even on the radio.... if you really have a desire to make weak ass slapped together radio friendly beats, then yea, keep it simple and boring. if you wanna do something creative....do something different.

ADD something to it......

peace.

i always add SOMETHING to a sampled loop..

i hardly ever sample, but if i do i, except for drums of course, phatten everything up with strings, keys, or whatever fits the track..

if you listen to the song "baggysound" on my soundclick page (sorry, i only have the already recorded version online): this track uses a sample and then i added multiple strings to it..

dr. dre used to be the master of adding synth basslines & leads to sample-based beats.

highkoo said:

so you just find a hot 2 bar sample off some old sh1t, slap it over a looped beat, and call it good? theres your 'song'?

not to say there arent a ton of tracks just like that all over the place. even on the radio....

hate to say it, but that's exactly why I have almost zero respect for hip hop these days....

Back