Where would you like music to go from here?

salvia

Hey guys,

What would you like to see happen in the next 10-20 years in music stylewise? Do you see a resurgance of previous styles or something completely different? (jazz/funk/fusion/slap dance etc)

Personally I see a recycling of a lot of older styles. Anyway, peace.

I truly hope, since cd sales are slipping, music will go back to live performance, real bands etc.

Honestly I would like it to go back to how it was in the 90's (regarding hip-hop and r&b). I would also like 70's classic rock, blues, and soul to come back.

Of course, none of this will happen.

I would also like to see the end of "music" like Soulja Boy, V.I.C, Lil' (insert name here, except Wayne), Gucci Mayne....this whole style of "rap" needs to go and stay gone.

As far as genre fusion goes....Regarding Rap/Rock, I didn't like the songs Jay-Z and Linkin Park did but I really like the new Busta Rhymes/Linkin Park song "We Made It".

Last edited:
I'd like to see music go more independent, more people doing their own thing regardless of what is going on musically in pop culture. I'd honestly like to see the end of all of the novelty bands and trends, all the Soulja Boys and J Kwons and whathaveyous and all the Fall Out Boy and My Chemical Romances need to take their leave to make way for artists who are actually doing something worth listening to.

i want people to stop making beats. seriously.

write songs. complete finished works. don't just "write" 4 bars of music and call it a night.

if you can't or don't want to write lyrics, then don't loop the same thing over and over. write new passages, different sections. make it interesting!

and for god's sake, stop selling your creations. it's so lazy! "oh, i can't write lyrics, the same 4 bars repeated ad nauseum is just fine as a finished piece. let some rapper do the rest of my work for me." excuse me while i vomit.

actually, bugger it, i'm mincing words. i wish hiphop in its current state would just go away.

Last edited by a moderator:
uNDefineD said:
i want people to stop making beats. seriously.

write songs. complete finished works. don't just "write" 4 bars of music and call it a night.

if you can't or don't want to write lyrics, then don't loop the same thing over and over. write new passages, different sections. make it interesting!

and for god's sake, stop selling your creations. it's so lazy! "oh, i can't write lyrics, the same 4 bars repeated ad nauseum is just fine as a finished piece. let some rapper do the rest of my work for me." excuse me while i vomit.

actually, bugger it, i'm mincing words. i wish hiphop in its current state would just go away.

Agreed.

I'm in agreement with uNDefineD as well. What the hell ever happened to people who actually wrote music? If we don't get anything else back, we at least need more people who actually write entire songs instead of looping the same sh*t over and over until the listener pukes.

^^I still think the artist have to be willing to give it to them first...in other words risk being astrocized(sp)...Kanye got laughed at for a while before he got the platform he now has...but he wasnt' afraid to keep on pushing, so to speak.

So artists have to make good music...and I agree, songwriting is suffering in mainstream music...let's get back to really learning our instruments, even if it is an MPC...Technology is sooo advanced there is no reason to have the bull**** out now...

mix decently honed musicianship with a strong knowledge of tech. and cats could create something totally new...gotta experiment though and be willing to take chances

As an artist at one time you really had to be unique before the trades would be impressed .They were watch dogs for the masses. If an artist was hype they would call them on it. The standard is not as high now. You have to be their darlings on a social political level. They try to call the shots instead of letting the culture take its natural course.

salvia said:
Hey guys,

What would you like to see happen in the next 10-20 years in music stylewise? Do you see a resurgance of previous styles or something completely different? (jazz/funk/fusion/slap dance etc)

It would be nice for people to isolate themselves from the *expectations* of *musical success* and material gain as the priority to make the music that *comes from their very soul*

That'll eliminate *dem hatin ass biters*

Could care less about *genres*. If you making music from your soul. *meaning 100% for the love of music*

ALL music will sound better than we *expect*.

Completely independant of trends? Can you imagine that? lol

PlanetHitzProduction said:
It would be nice for people to isolate themselves from the *expectations* of *musical success* and material gain as the priority to make the music that *comes from their very soul*

That'll eliminate *dem hatin ass biters*

Could care less about *genres*. If you making music from your soul. *meaning 100% for the love of music*

ALL music will sound better than we *expect*.

Completely independant of trends? Can you imagine that? lol

Very idealistic view, which is nice to think about. But music will always be a business, which will always attract all the things you dont like about music. People are trying to make a quick buck out of music more than anything, and with cd sales slipping its becoming more and more cutthroat.

Some people make music for the love of music.
Beat makers do it for the love of money.
You see people who you know only been doing for a half of year,
try to enter the selling market.
Even worst are the ones who think so little of there work that they
sell them for 5 or 10 dollars..I would rather have them rot on my
harddrive before I ever do that.

salvia said:

Ya, old school styles with a new school twist, like Chromeo and the Cool Kids. Also more genre fusing like the Busta and LP joint.

I also see a resurgence in intellectual hip hop, like seriously within a year or so. People are getting tired of bit(hes and bling and the same old thing, it's so played out right now that if I hear anything about a rubber band in another effin song I'm gonna punch my speaker. I really think artists like Kanye and Lupe are opening up a whole new door.

Also alot more dance music making it's way into hip hop.

salvia said:
The problem is that songwriting lends itself better towards rock, and rock is pretty much dead.
Lol no way. Songwriting lends itself to storytelling, which is still very much alive. Blues was all about telling a story about why you had the blues. Then rock took that and ran with it. Now rock isn't all that anymore and hip hop took the story telling to they're side of the world and everyone ran with it. Now I can see more old school stuff coming back. More like it was when money wasn't involved. I saw a vid with the great Jazzy Jeff and he said he had just won his first grammy with will smith and only had 500 in the bank! He said he walked out to his car and cried! I mean that is the definition of great music. Where money in the end don't matter.

Back