Where To Start? (Learning Synthesis)

thefish828

While I'm still home from college on christmas break, I figured I should finally buckle down and learn how to program a synth. I've heard from numerous people that a good way to start learning is to read the Sound of Sound articles "Synth Secrets." Problem is, when I visit the site:
http://www.soundonsound.com/search?section=/&Keyword=synth+secrets
theres a million articles! So, does anyone have any suggestion on where I should start? Also, if somebody knows some other different tutorials that might be beneficial to my education, please let me know! Thanks!

If it were me, i'd start with the first one. Learning is never easy, so start slow and break it down bit by bit. There's no easy way, just have to grin and bare it. Took me a while to learn how to program, still not 100%, but i don't have a problem attaining the sound i want. Also pick some of your fav patches and start fiddlin with the knobs and sliders, liten carefully to what happens with the sound. Thats how i got started. If your using Reason, they have a great document in there somewhere that teaches you how to program thier synth, but it applies to any synth that has osc, filter, envelops. The basics are the basics, across the board. Hope this helps.
LevLove

samplecraze.com/tutorial

scroll down..u will find sum basic synthesis lessons on reason.

You can download a free ebook called "How to make noise.."
Very Good for Beginners!!!
n o i s e s c u l p t u r e . c o m

Reason's subtractor. CANNOT STRESS THIS SYNTH ENOUGH FOR LEARNING!!! Learn envelopes and oscillators and filters. Worked for me.

Back